Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does everyone here own a.... >

Does everyone here own a....

Does everyone here own a....

Old 02-07-2011, 07:12 AM

No long arm and have done a 120 x 120 on mine. It is a Singer with a 9 inch throat. I rolled mine but did stitch in the ditch.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:29 AM

I have a Singer Rotolock and the throat is 10" x 7". Doing s super king on it. Not rolling the quilt though, using the black clippies from the hardware department, fan folding the quilt. Double wedding ring.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:40 AM

I have a Pfaff with a 7" throat that I've done queen and extra large king quilts on. I just rolled them tight and worked from the center out so I was unrolling as I quilted. I now have a Pfaff with a 10" throat and I'm working on a king quilt that I will quilt with it. I've done several baby and twin quilts that I just puddle and FMQ. Don't forget: practice, practice, practice.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by bkaren6020
I purchased a Flynn quilt frame, but haven't used it yet. Has anyone used one?
I have it and like it. I did a twin size quilt on it, with a longer overhang, so I did one half at a time then joined the two halves. It turned out well. That's the problem with the Flynn frame, it only accommodates smaller quilts.

But I just bought the longer EMT conduit that they recommend to replace the shorter bars that come with the frame, and plan to try a larger quilt on it (when I get it done!)

What I liked best about the frame is not having to sandwich the quilt--the three-bar system on the frame keeps everything straight and tight!
Old 02-07-2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Puddling is allowing the quilt to lay around the sewing machine and even in your lap. You scrunch it up instead of rolling it, making a "quilt puddle".
It helps to have room all of the way around your machine for the quilt to lay on, so it doesn't pull on the area you are quilting.
Some push another table up to their machine, set their ironing board up next to it, anything to be able to spread the quilt out :D:D:D
I FMQ on bed-size quilts all the time by puddling my quilts...AND swing my machine a quarter-turn so that the cords are in back and the faceplate in front. Try it...also check out all the tutes on YouTube

:thumbup:
Old 02-07-2011, 08:40 AM

For QUILTBEAGLE
Your Avatar quilt is to die for! Can you post a larger pic for eye candy? Thanks!
Old 02-07-2011, 09:30 AM

Yes, I own a Gammil Premier, an 18" throat quilting machine, which I love and use for many of the lap and larger quilts. However, before I bought it, I did my quilting on my Bernina. I started out rolling the quilt, but then watched Ricky Tims DVD and started scrunching the quilt in the throat area and it works better for me. I have done queen to king sizes on the DSM. Granted it is much easier on the long arm, but it can be done with your DSM if you are willing to make it work. :-)
Old 02-07-2011, 10:23 AM

rexie

I use an old singer and the feed dogs don't drop, but I use a supreme slider or a piece of vinyl from walmart and put it over the dogs making a hole large enough for the needle and bobbin thread to clear, tape the slippery slider or vinyl down and sew. There is a web site daystyledesigns.com that is so helpful with quilting just check her out.
good Luck

Suzy
Old 02-07-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by sidmona
I have a Juki and just finished a queen quilt on it. I have even done a few kings. The trick is to puddle the quilt, not roll it.
My method, exactly. I have a Juki 98 TL and just "puddle" the excess quilt around the machine and only worry about the area under the needle and between my hands being smoooth while I'm quilting it. I tried "rolling" the quilt ONE TIME, and won't do that again-it seemed impossible to handle that way.

There are 2 things that I think make doing large quilts on a small machine possible; basting your quilt sandwich well, and placing a couple of 2' x 4' folding tables around my sewing table to support the excess bulk of the quilt. I have one table off the back of the machine and a second one perpendicular to the first on the right hand side.

I've also sucessfully FMQ'd on my Bernia that has a pretty average size throat space using this method.

FMQing can be done on a regular domestic machine, and it's even enjoyable!

Leah Day has a good video on youtube that demonstrates how to do a large quilt on a small machine here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc2Y1...ayer_embedded# You may find it helpful to watch this...

Wendy
Old 02-07-2011, 11:47 AM

This topic is near and dear to my heart. Because I don't have the funds to take a quilt to someone else to quilt for me, I have been experimenting with ways to FMQ on my little Brother. Now, I love my Brother but the neck area is SO small.

A tip I got recently at a class is when using the darning foot you don't need to drop feed dogs. It works for me. Try it if the other suggestions don't pan out.

Because of my carpal tunnel problem I use Sharon Shamber's quilt halo. It helps so much to control the motion without so much strain on my writst. Amen!
You can do it! Julie