Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does everyone here own a.... >

Does everyone here own a....

Does everyone here own a....

Old 02-07-2011, 03:09 AM

I'm going to try puddling with my Viking 5oo.My sewing room is a sardine can too, & have soaps in there too.Which the different fragrances makes me sneeze.I'll get a pic of my soaps to show ya'll.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:56 AM

Up until recently I quilted on my regular Brother 1500. At a recent show I bought a table mounted 16" throat machine for the larger pieces. Larger quilts can be done on a DSM but I wanted a little more space to move around without having a full long arm setup for which I don't have any room.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by rexie
quilting machine? I read and read how everyone does their own quilting and FMQ on their machines, but how do you get a queen sized quilt rolled up enough to go in the throat of the machines? I had a Juki once and the throat area was too small to do much at a time. Would really like to know how big of a quilt do you quilt on your personal machines.
I have the acrylic extension table for my Janome and several tables (the Sam's cheap fold up tables) all around me to hold the quilt. The extension table allows me to keep the actual quilting area level and the rest of the quilt just puddles up wherever it falls. I never let it fall over the edge and create a drag. I push and pull whatever part of the quilt i need to do next. I also start in the middle and work outward.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:53 AM

I purchased a Flynn quilt frame, but haven't used it yet. Has anyone used one?
Old 02-07-2011, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by bkaren6020
I purchased a Flynn quilt frame, but haven't used it yet. Has anyone used one?
Please explain the Flynn quilt frame----I'm assuming you use it on or with your machine.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:23 AM

Anything bigger than a wallhanging goes into the machine quilting frame...what a lifesaver!
Old 02-07-2011, 06:15 AM

I cram what I can through my regular sewing machine to quilt it because I just can't afford to send anything out. I just finished a queen sized quilt that I had quilted in sections so it wasn't all that hard really. It was a bit of a pain to join the sections, but it was quilted for only the cost of my time and it's on my bed now keeping us warm. My quilts may not be perfect, but no one but me can usually tell and my family all loves them and uses them until they're practically ragged.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:19 AM

I use a ironing board to help keep it from hanging on the floor and I puddle .Good luck
Old 02-07-2011, 07:06 AM

There are plenty of quilters who FMQ with the feeddogs up. They just lessen the pressure. Try a sample sandwich and see if it works. If not, there are some great machine buys going on now. Or, if you don't want to spend alot, go to your local machine dealer and ask to see the used machines. They are always in working order, they wouldn't sell them without making sure they are up to speed. Ask the owner if you can test your sample sandwich on the machine.....you will know what is best for you and your budget....just check around.
I have purchased several gently used machines on this group and other group during sale days. My Janomes I purchased from a great dealer. PM me for contact info on the dealer.
D in TX
D in TX
Old 02-07-2011, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by rexie
quilting machine? I read and read how everyone does their own quilting and FMQ on their machines, but how do you get a queen sized quilt rolled up enough to go in the throat of the machines? I had a Juki once and the throat area was too small to do much at a time. Would really like to know how big of a quilt do you quilt on your personal machines.
I have a domestic, Kenmore,neck area abt. 9 inches. I just roll it up tight and push. Have done a king,queen,twin,crib all the sizes on it. Once you get the hang of it not all that difficult just have to go easy and push. I do stitch in the ditch, crosshatch and now Freemotion.. Do wish I could afford a midarm maybe before I get to old( I am 66 now) :-D I can get me one but until then I will use my Kenmore,Quilted a lot of quilts on it. BillsBonBon :lol: :lol: