Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ok, if I am going to be best friends...... >

Ok, if I am going to be best friends......

Ok, if I am going to be best friends......

Old 02-07-2011, 05:38 AM

I use a single edge razor blade. When ripping large projects I put one side under the needle of my machine and cut away goes fsst.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:38 AM

As crazy as this sounds I like the cheapy ones from JoAnne's or Walmart. They cost less than 2 dollars so I don't mind replacing them when they get dull and they fit in my hand better than some of the more expensive ones I've had.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:54 AM

I like the larger handle, mine is about 1/2" wide and 5" long. With RA my hands cramp up if I have to use a small one....guess this is telling. I use a seam ripper often?
Old 02-07-2011, 06:55 AM

I had never had a seam ripper that was worth diddley. I used a small pair of snippers instead.....until, about a month ago a friend told me that Clover seam rippers really do work. I was amazed!!! The point is small and pointy. And the cutting edge is sharp and cuts the thread as it should. I swear by Clover!!!
Old 02-07-2011, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by slstitcher
I use a seam ripper that is like a scapel. I love it and I think it is much faster than a regular ripper. You do have to careful you don't cut your fabric. When the blades get dull you just put in a new one. I just can't go back to a regular ripper anymore.
same here, I think mine is by havel
Old 02-07-2011, 07:02 AM

I have a few, and sometimes, use a swiss army knife. I have one with a thin blade and works like a charm
Old 02-07-2011, 07:10 AM

Mine is my BFF, his name is Jack... I also use an eyebrow trimmer, and sometimes my Olfa blade
Old 02-07-2011, 07:15 AM

Havel seam ripper. Works great. Need to be careful, very sharp. This is the surgical steel scapel one....Sharon Schamber uses a rotary cutter and works the blade holding the rotary cutter firmly in her hand,....does not roll it, she uses the blade like a razor. She is fast and knows what she is doing. I WOULD CUT AN ARTERY doing this...Not recommended.
Din TX
Old 02-07-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
I prefer the cheapest ones the others when I break them and I do alot of that, I feel I wasted my money the simple ones are sharp and thin that is what works for me!
I have one that I have used since high school. Cheap but good and it is still sharp!
Old 02-07-2011, 07:49 AM

I recently bought one of the expensive scalpel types....yikes, must have a learning curve, as way too easy to cut your fabric.
Am I the only one who picks a couple stitches, cuts another a few inches away, and pulls out the bobbin thread? Much faster and no cutting of your fabric. I sometimes use a different shade on the bobbin just so it is easier to tell which is which. When I clip threads, I always leave the bobbin thread longer, just in case......... Especially a tip to use with beginning stitchers.