Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ5 vs. EQ6 - to upgrade or not to upgrade? >

EQ5 vs. EQ6 - to upgrade or not to upgrade?

EQ5 vs. EQ6 - to upgrade or not to upgrade?

Old 08-05-2008, 05:36 AM

Any opinions out there?? I currently have EQ5 (very new user) and am curious about upgrading to EQ6. I checked at joanns.com and can get the upgrade for $59.99 vs. $74.95 retail and wanted to know if the difference between the programs is worth the upgrade cost? :?:

Thanks!!!
Old 08-05-2008, 06:10 AM

Sorry but I can't help as I never had EQ5. I went right to EQ6. Its my first EQ software too.. But I do love it and the possibilities are endless!! You can also print out your fabric yardage requirements!! I'm not sure if EQ5 did that, but I love that feature!!! I only got my copy back in early Spring. I played with it a bit so far, but I still have much to learn on it. I have been so busy finishing projects to teach for the Fall season and selling my tote bags, I haven't had a chance to sit at my laptop lately and play. Hopefully in the fall I will have a chance to do a few more tutorials!!!

Let us know how you decide!
Old 08-05-2008, 06:32 AM

I haven't upgraded yet. I keep thinking about it, but never seem to do it. EQ5 does everything I need to do. EQ5 also prints fabric yardages.

I am curious what the upgrades are. They must be at EQ's website.

This link lists the features of EQ6.

http://www.electricquilt.com/Shop/EQ6/EQ6F.asp
Old 08-05-2008, 07:17 AM
Banned

keep in mind that EQ6 limits you to FOUR installations and then you have to PAY AGAIN for software you ALREADY OWN to install it again...

I did not know that when I ordered my EQ6 from Joanns and the possibility never crossed my mind that they would do that...

hello, I never stole your software and never gave out copies so why am I being treated like a criminal???? Why do I have to pay more because somebody else did??

I do like the program, but I would NOT buy if again with limited installations - I'm still using software I bought years and years ago that has been installed on numerous computers - all my OWN - from hardware upgrades to hard drive failures, etc etc....

so what happens years from now when I want to install for the 5th time on yet another new computer and ha, the company is no longer supporting the program?? I guess I just toss it and buy another version for $$$$$$ - NOT....

aside from that, I really (really) like the program - really! :lol:

Old 08-05-2008, 07:54 AM
Banned

Here are some FAQ's about the upgrade: http://www.sheilawilliams.com/eq3files/EQ6Upgrade.html
Here are the new features: http://www.quiltbus.com/EQ6.htm
Here is one bloggers comments about the activation limits and the responses she received: http://judylaquidara.blogspot.com/20...=1198978680000
Here is more about when you need to use an activation: http://www.electricquilt.com/Shop/EQ...ctivations.asp

As I understand it, if you explain to EQ why you want/need a fifth activation, they may or may not charge you for it. It is not cast in stone that you have to buy the software all over again. According to their website: "You can activate EQ6 four (4) times without contact to our technical support group. After that, you will have to contact us specifying the reason for an additional activation. Each request will be evaluated on a case by case basis when the need arises."
Old 08-05-2008, 09:56 AM

I understand the activation limits. I have different software that runs on different "copyright" technology. You can't run the software without a software key.

But, I paid for the program and if I want to load it up on laptops and desk tops, I don't want to be hindered in anyway.

I too don't "share" the software. That's not ethical to do. But, because of a few bad apples, the whole bunch is spoiled and we're all treated like rotten apples.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:29 PM

It is hard to go from unlimited installations as I understand EQ5 is to a limit of 4 - but when I was researching digital scrapbooking software, MOST of the programs would allow only one installation per software purchasedl. If you wanted to install more than one, you had to buy more than one copy of the software - which means I didn't purchase those programs!

I had read the information on the extras in EQ6 vs. EQ5, but because I am such a new user, I don't understand the implication of the new stuff!Maybe then I will wait until I get more proficient with EQ5 before upgrading to EQ6 or even wait until EQ7!

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-05-2008, 01:14 PM

I can tell you that the printing options or upgrades for the blocks and foundation pieces is much needed. I have very limited printing control and can't print the foundation piece templates the way I'd like to have them printed in EQ5.

Printing options are very important and I have some complaints with EQ5 in that regard. I'm especially not happy with the paper-pieced templates I have been printing. They just print a bunch of lines wiht numbers and have no shading or color scaling to orient yourself with the block. It's been very problematic in the templates I've printed so far.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cordelia
I

. They just print a bunch of lines wiht numbers and have no shading or color scaling to orient yourself with the block. It's been very problematic in the templates I've printed so far.

Hi cordelia, I have Eq5. Do you mean the templates for cutting the material or the foundation block. When you copy your block and then put it on the work table. Go to File and click on print. a window for the block pops up. click on foundation pattern,then options and make sure grayscale has a check in the little box. print it out and it is shaded.
for the templetes themselves I don't think you need to have them shaded. If I am wrong please excuse me. But I Print shaded foundation a lot off my EQ5. I hope I helped you.
I wouldn't want EQ6 for because of the loading 4 times. Sometimes I take EQ5 off to do something else because it does take up a lot of memory.
Bill'sBonBon
Old 08-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Banned

You know, I can really understand the resistance to buying EQ6 because of the activation limits. Perhaps if the company was made aware by enough polite emails and letters from quilters, both those with EQ5 and those of us who are considering buying something for the first time, so they know that this is the ONLY reason we would not purchase EQ6...well, maybe they would rethink their policy. Maybe. Just a thought.