Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Card Tricks Block using stripes >

Card Tricks Block using stripes

Card Tricks Block using stripes

Old 07-10-2010, 06:21 AM

Beautiful!!! You've really got me inspired to look for stripes now! I'm going to go to my LQS and look today. Can't wait to get started!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:35 AM

I love this...I just did a card trick lap quilt with solid colors, and one print. It was easy to do, but I absolutely love this, and will keep looking for any information you have to give us.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny
Here's a few pictures of what is done so far.

I need to give a special thanks to Athenagwis! We met in person the other day to trade fabric. Sweet, sweet lady! She is collecting oranges, and I asked for purples in return. Although I'm collecting purples for a different project, one scrap piece she gave me was a STRIPE, so I had to put it in this project. :D

there is one block in this arrangement that I may just offer up to anyone who is trying a block on their own. I haven't decided which block yet. (Most likely not the one with the fabric from my new pal.)
It was so great to meet you too!! I hope we get to do some quilty things together soon. I didn't even realize I gave you a stripe hehe. :) It looks AWESOME in there though!!! Glad it worked out so great. :) Your new quilt is coming along stunningly!! :) :)

Cheers!!
Rachel
Old 07-25-2010, 03:06 PM

I've made 32 blocks now! Sixteen large and sixteen small. After I sew these together and put a border on, the quilt will be full size.

My last block didn't want to be born - I mean, made! I just had to sweet talk it and convince it how much I needed it in my quilt, and how pretty it was going to be.

Here are all 32 blocks on the floor.

Color of these photos is really off.

all blocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]71073[/ATTACH]

detail of 4 blocks.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]71074[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-71068.jpe   attachment-71069.jpe  
Old 07-25-2010, 04:29 PM

This is absolutely beautiful. I am still looking for material to at least try one block. I sorted through all my material today, and have a couple that might work. But nothing that looks as pretty as yours.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:04 PM

Breath taking.The stripes really gives the block a whole new look. Yours is so beautiful.
I'm still collecting stripes! I made myself a promise to not start on it till I finish a few of my WIP
Old 07-26-2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by klgreene
This is absolutely beautiful. I am still looking for material to at least try one block. I sorted through all my material today, and have a couple that might work. But nothing that looks as pretty as yours.
Sometimes I find that 'pretty' does not work in as interestingly as does 'unusual'. You might try something unusual, to see the result. Many time I have been pleased. It comes out entirely different than I expected.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:03 PM

Try one border material and alternate it with a solid (or tone-on-tone) instead of another border. If using a solid, remember, you won't have to fussy-cut it. Just use 4 7/8 HST's with 5 1/4 QST's.

Or use one border, but find two different starting cuts for the two pair of cards. Quilt Mom is right. You may be pleased with what you create.

Show us what you have, klgreene!
Old 08-07-2010, 12:58 PM

The material I had wasn't working, I stayed clear of borders and strips, so I ordered some sale stuff when I ordered some christmas border fabric. I will post as soon as I get one made. It's just sitting on my table waiting for me.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:33 PM

Wow...I just found this tutorial, it's great for all the ideas. I have lots of Jenny Beyer border prints from the early 80's I want to use for this. All the pics give me ideas for the fabrics to go with them.

I sent a PM earlier tonight asking about block sizes but from these measurements I figured out the big blocks finished 12" so the smaller ones are probably 9"...right?

Thanks for this....I'm excited to start a new one!