Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Coloring With Crayons, Transfer Crayons, And Watercolor Pencils

I remember watching an episode if of Alex Anderson Show and they did a baby quilt like this. They went one step further and used texturing plates (a plastic plate with texture on it sold at craft stores.) They colored this big fat caterpiller a pastel color ,then using the texture plates underneath colored again pressing harder to get a darker color. Really cute . Thats the only block I remember. Seems to me it was also an alphabet quilt. Does anyone else remember this one?

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the great tut.

Thanks for the tute. My residents will love it :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by greaterexp
    I wish I could draw! This sounds wonderful, and I'm grateful for your tutorial. Someday, I'll get up the nerve to try it!
    You don't need nerve,Just get a white sheet at the thrift store for $2.00 or so,iron the freezer paper on the back of the square you cut out for practice,and put the material over the coloring book or quilt pattern,or what ever,and draw the edges in w/a pencil.Then color away.That's it.When you finished coloring,then heat set it.Your done.Your block is now finished.This is a great way to get kids involved and have them make their own quilt.And all it would cost is the crayons,sheet,and color book,and freezer paper.So,not a big investment at all.I love these coloring blocks.And you would have enough for a whole top.Buy another sheet,throw a blanket in between,and tie it for a baby blanket.Fast and easy.Thanks so much for sharing.This is a old dying art that needs brought back.They make the best blocks,and you can't make a mistake really.I can't draw either,at all.But I can color!

another great idea that I would love to try...thanks!

Blog Entries
    I am posting a link to your tutorial on my swap page, I hope you don't mind?

This is awesome! I'm picturing my students coloring blocks with this technique for a quilt project we're doing.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Thank yaou for this great tutorial. I can use this for my Project Linus kids to color and help make blocks for quilts for member to sew with. Everyone who takes time to do this for the QB is is appreciated.♥♥

Gayle that is so cool! I didn't know that a regular old crayola could be used to do that. I remember ironing crayon drawings as a kid to make the color more intense, but never with fabric. It sounds like it might be a great way to preserve children's drawings too, by having them do it on cotton instead. Thanks for your tutorial!

Quote Originally Posted by janeknapp
    My friend suggested applying GEL MEDIUM brushing only on the watercolored areas. This makes the color permanent...more than just heat setting...especially if it will be washed. I have no idea what this does to the fabric as far as stiffness. It might be worth trying after stitching. I haven't used this. Check out descriptions of fabric medium and gel medium on Google.

Gel medium is different than aloe vera gel. Buy gel medium at Michael's or an art supply store.
    This should be called FABRIC or TEXTILE medium.

I love this. I had to look it up again. I'm going to use this!

Blog Entries
    How cool. I just got a book about makina fabric books for kids an this might tie in very well.

Thank you so much for the tutorial. It's nice to have the instructions for the different coloring products. :D

thank you sew much for the instructions....lov it.

Quote Originally Posted by lucyb
    I remember watching an episode if of Alex Anderson Show and they did a baby quilt like this. They went one step further and used texturing plates (a plastic plate with texture on it sold at craft stores.) They colored this big fat caterpiller a pastel color ,then using the texture plates underneath colored again pressing harder to get a darker color. Really cute . Thats the only block I remember. Seems to me it was also an alphabet quilt. Does anyone else remember this one?
    I remember this...I think I printed the pattern way back then..

I love it. Wish I had read this before putting blocks together for my future great grandchild's quilt. You pictures are darling. :-D

Quote Originally Posted by lucyb
    Thanks for the reminder about using the texture plates. I have some and have never used them. Now I will. :D

This tutorial is awesome! I think it deserves a bump. For people that have done this, is it preferable to use aloe vera gel or a gel medium bought at an art store? Anyone else have pictures they want to share?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4