Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Coloring With Crayons, Transfer Crayons, And Watercolor Pencils >

Coloring With Crayons, Transfer Crayons, And Watercolor Pencils

Coloring With Crayons, Transfer Crayons, And Watercolor Pencils

Old 06-28-2011, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by echobluff
Originally Posted by feffertim
I am making the 'plaid cats in my garden' quilt colored with crayola crayons and it is just fabulous. I love this technique. This company makes patterns for this process and they are great. Check out their site for some ideas, besides the cats they have several other patterns. They even tell you which colors to use in the pattern. http://www.black-cat-creations.com/items.php?id=6
Thanks for sharing that link! I'm gonna order the Periwinkle Lane later this week! I'm so amp'd!
I, too, love the plaid cats!
Old 06-28-2011, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by luckylindy333
It just ocurred to me that when you were talking about the crayons, this could be the beginning of a batik. Has anyone ever tried to do batik with crayons? With traditional batiks, you paint with wax on a light colored fabric, then dye the whole thing, paint (draw) some more wax on then dye with the next darker color of dye. It seems like the crayon wax would act as a "resist" and at least partially block the dye.

Thanks for the tutorial, it is definitely going to get book marked!
Hi Linda from the West! I have done batik, but only with a block of wax. Not sure why crayons wouldn't work. Might be intetesting even if it doesn't block all of the dye out. Wow, I did my batik about a hundred years ago... Not sure I want to say how many 100 years ago... LOL :lol: :lol:

Linda from the East! (Washington State, that is) :-D
Old 06-28-2011, 04:33 PM

This is fascinating! Can hardly wait to try! Thanks!
Old 06-28-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
It just ocurred to me that when you were talking about the crayons, this could be the beginning of a batik. Has anyone ever tried to do batik with crayons? With traditional batiks, you paint with wax on a light colored fabric, then dye the whole thing, paint (draw) some more wax on then dye with the next darker color of dye. It seems like the crayon wax would act as a "resist" and at least partially block the dye.

Hi Linda from the West! I have done batik, but only with a block of wax. Not sure why crayons wouldn't work. Might be intetesting even if it doesn't block all of the dye out. Wow, I did my batik about a hundred years ago... Not sure I want to say how many 100 years ago... LOL :lol: :lol:

It was at least 35 years ago for me! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 06-28-2011, 05:21 PM

For all of you with younger grandchildren - Buy regular undershirts wash/dry (no fabric softener)and press, and then iron the freezer paper to the inside front of the shirt. Find some coloring pages free on-line, use a light box, and a thin permanent pen (I use Sakura .1 or .3 - for bolder lines use a .5. Let the grandchildren do their own coloring with the crayons- even the 3 yr olds :-) but Grandma or Mom or another adult should do the heat set. Put a brown bag or newsprint paper on the ironing board and with the shirt coloring side down press with a dry iron until no color or wax shows on the paper. Explain that with washing the colors will fade a little, and encourage the children to color a little heavier than normal. Did this with my grandchildren with ages 3 yrs to about 10 or 11. The older ones chose more "adult" patterns to color. They all had fun for a few hours and couldn't wait to put their new shirts on! PS - Back in the early 1950's I can remember my Mom tracing and coloring huge peacocks on to tan burlap panels. They were so beautiful and the panels were made in to floor to ceiling curtains.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:23 PM

Great info...thankyou..
Old 06-28-2011, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by feffertim
I am making the 'plaid cats in my garden' quilt colored with crayola crayons and it is just fabulous. I love this technique. This company makes patterns for this process and they are great. Check out their site for some ideas, besides the cats they have several other patterns. They even tell you which colors to use in the pattern. http://www.black-cat-creations.com/items.php?id=6
I just finished all but the outer borders. I had so much fun!
Old 06-28-2011, 07:34 PM

I purchased childrens coloring books at the Dollar Store and transferred the patterns onto solid quilting fabric blocks that I pre-cut. You don't have to limit yourself to just using white. It works with light pastels also. They make darling juvenille quilts. I ordered transfer pens to trace and transfer the pictures. Then I outlined everything with a black pigma permanent ink pen. Then colored and use a heavy layer of crayon. I purchased blank "Doodle Pads" from the Dollar Store to use for heat setting. Don't use a sheet more than once or you will have a mess.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme

It was at least 35 years ago for me! :lol: :lol: :lol:
LOL... I did start trying to remember... I can remember I was doing it with a friend in her garage but I stopped at counting on my hands and feet... simply too many years! LOL :lol:
Old 06-28-2011, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
Hi Lv2sew,
The freezer paper is sold in the plastic wrap section of your grocery store. It is for wrapping your meat in before freezing it. (helps with the freezer burn problem) I use it for hand applique all the time.
Thanks to all those who answered my question, I thought that's what you all were talking about but just not quite sure...Thanks again...