Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Confetti Quilt Instructor >

Confetti Quilt Instructor

Confetti Quilt Instructor

Old 10-22-2012, 01:30 AM

I cut snippets of all sorts of fabrics, thread, yarns and more and create such projects.

I ordered the Accuquilt Go Confetti Die couple months ago and it works awesome. Best die purchase I've made to date and believe me I've purchased several GO and Studio dies.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by clsurz View Post
I cut snippets of all sorts of fabrics, thread, yarns and more and create such projects.

I ordered the Accuquilt Go Confetti Die couple months ago and it works awesome. Best die purchase I've made to date and believe me I've purchased several GO and Studio dies.
I would love to see your creations! This technique is on my to do list, but am intimidated by the process.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:40 AM

Thanks so much. This seems like a very exciting project. I am not artistic at ALL, but if you say you don't have to be....I believe you! Would love to try this.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:59 PM

They are excellent results for a Workshop.
Annie
Old 10-24-2012, 01:08 AM

Anyone that has done mixed media confetti projects can do this. Check out Noriko Endo from Japan who started this technique 19 years ago. Personally like her I prefer to just have a photograph of what I want to create and use it to eyeball my canvas piece which is a piece of batting. I seldom trace anything on the batting. My granddaughter and I a couple years ago spent the summer doing confetti art with cardboard and colorful papers, magazine papers and the like. What one can create with mixed materials can also be duplicated using cloth fabric, threads, yarns, etc.

It is alot of fun dyeing your own fabric to use in such projects. I've been known to take UGLY fabric and dye it to use in confetti projects. Also using old clothes, towels, and more along with other fabric, threads, yarns and such certainly adds to a project.

As far as a lightbox is concerned one does not need to go out an pay such a high price for one. Although I do have a professional one sized 12 X 17 I think it is and purchased it on eBay a few years ago I recently made myself a larger one. All I did was go to Walmart and bought a clear larger bin with lid and bought two LED florascent lights. I taped the lights on the inside of the lid and my lid is my bottom. I than put the container on and snapped it shut. I than use whatever paper I want to use to trace my project on. Right now I have several different items printed to trace on Steam A Seam II Lite or on Heat N Bond Lite. I buy these in large boxes from 25 yards to 75 yards and various width in inches.

I have for almost 1 1/2 years been saving all my end threads when I sew, yarns, fabric scraps given to me by a couple quilt guilds around here, and other threads and fibers to use in projects. I have the following machines at my disposal to use in projects if I so desire to......... embellishing machine,ie, needle felting machine; sewing machine; serger; embroidery machine; and I use my Studio, GO cutters as well as scissors, and rotary cutters to make the confetti with. I keep bags full of tulle of various colors which I usually purchase by the bolt as well. I also purchase cheese cloth by the bolt to use in various projects. Fabric markers, paints, brushes, etc are also sometimes used to give a project dimension and depth.

It really is alot of fun and really all these projects are really experiments. Just start gathering some of the things I mentioned here and have a go at it. If tracing something to give you an outline consider using stencils on the batting, felt or whatever you are going to use as your background canvas. Once you have your outline done have a go at it and start filling in the spaces with the colors you choose to use. You will amaze yourself at what you can create.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:01 PM

A friend and I are about to do this and we just bought expensive glue designed to keep the pieces in place. May not need the glue using this technique, but really look forward to making one of these beautiful art quilts! Thanks for posting on this subject
Old 10-26-2012, 01:10 PM

I'll be anxious to see your finished work of art.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
A friend and I are about to do this and we just bought expensive glue designed to keep the pieces in place. May not need the glue using this technique, but really look forward to making one of these beautiful art quilts! Thanks for posting on this subject
Somebunny, you are right, you do not need glue for this method, as it would only glue the very bottom layer. I started a thread on confetti quilting some time ago after I took Jan Dole's class and was amazed at how thick the layer of confetti could be. Sometimes you might want to turn over a piece or two if the wrong side looked too white, for example and the glue would prevent you from doing that. The batting tends to hold it in place pretty good while you are working on it and the quilted netting holds it well after you are done. p.s., where are you on the OR coast? Feel free to email me if you would like futher suggestions.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:11 AM

I have completed a confetti piece that was about 3ft x 3ft of confetti. I used some glue, but only needed it when I had to leave the piece and was afraid that one of my pets would get on top of it and scatter it, and once when I rolled it up and transported it 300 miles to work on it at a relative's house. Then I just sprayed it with a temporary glue I usually use for embroider, not a very expensive one. Between layers of color - this has a lot of shading done on the piece- I just laid down different colors of netting. I had put my confetti on top of broadcloth, not batting and it has worked beautifully, been washed several times.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:38 AM

Tanya, Would love to see you confetti, it sounds beautiful.