Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Confetti Quilt Instructor

Do you have the backing laid down first then the batting? What thread do you quilt with? I love this and will have to try it. I'm looking forward to your video.

Blog Entries
    I love this idea. I would also be interested in a DVD. I can actually see some projects already in my mind.

Oh dear! I have been throwing away all the small snippets, like the tips when I'm cutting triangles, and all the edges when I make my pieces even. If I have saved them all, I probably would have finished a 10"x12" project by now. This is truly amazing. Thanks for your information. It would be really helpful if you could make a written/video instruction and just sell it as a download, instead of renting.

Blog Entries
    Very interesting. Would like to try this. I assume you match the thread to the color you are "sewing to death"?, lol? Or do you use the translucent thread?

Confetti quilting is not new. Shelly Berge from Lincoln, NE gave a workshop at our guild in Seneca, KS back in the '90's, I'm thinking. She had a couple of patterns out and was written up in a quilt magazine. She wasn't doing the 'art' pictures, but she was making hearts, designs on cards, etc with the tiny pieces that you are talking about. You have carried the idea one step futher with terrific results. :thumbup:

More info for you-- Yes, a video or download will be coming on the heels of the Rented video. I'm going as fast as I can! LOL I know different types of learners need different modes of learning.

No, you don't need a long arm to quilt this. In fact, I recommend against it. The longarms that I have seen cause the quilt to bounce, just a little and that would be all it takes to ruin your piece.

Yes, backing goes down first, batting on top, now design/picture.

I use invisible thread/nylon/translucent. The stuff that looks like spider web it is so fine. You want the quilting to be secondary to the picture and not take away. There are too many colors in these things to be able match the thread.

I know the technique is not new. I made confetti pictures in grade school for heavens sake! I know about Noriko Endo but I did not know about Shelly Berge. I will go see if she has anything online.

Thank you all soooo much. I have been toying with the idea of a video for several months. You'll tipped me over the edge and I thank you.

I missed a question or y'all are posting faster than I can type!

Tulle and pins hold it together while you quilt it BUT you MUST keep it flat. That means you need an extended bed on your machine or some way to keep it all flat.

My video will give you some ideas about how to do that cheaply if you haven't got an extended bed.

OMG. I can not wait for your video. I am sure you will be hounded by one and all until it is ready. Really exciting. Thank you.

wow cant wait to see the video !!! thank you

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jand635
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Ah, I was wondering how you got the tiny pieces - also, I presume you chop them all up separately - what do you store them in?

I suppose what I really need to know what size of fabric would you chop up for a usable amount of confetti.
    Hello-
    No! I don't chop each piece one at a time. I use my rotary cutter to go back and forth over the fabric till it is all chopped up. I store the confetti in zip locs or in old egg cartons.
    I can't tell you how much to chop up without seeing the picture you will be making. It doesn't take much. a 12 inch square makes a lot of confetti. By the way, I am making a video to rent about this method. Stay tuned.
    I'll be tickled pink to see this video!

Blog Entries
    bet your class is great, will be nice to see more on this subject!

Blog Entries
    Love, love this idea, any specific batting ?

No special batting. I use what ever scraps I happen to have lying around from other projects. I will say that it needs to be on the thin side.

very exciting to see & even think about making one!

I'm very anxious to try this as well, thanks for making it available.
    Janw1

Blog Entries
    My head is spinning with ideas. I can't wait to try it. I look forward to your video. I have a few projects to finish quickly because they have deadlines. Then I think I will start playing with this. I have been looking for something different and this is sure different. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Thank you so much. I can't wait for the video so I can try this.

The tuile doesn't distort or fuzz out the vivid fabrics? Where do I get tuile?

Ok, tuile is a cookie (subconscience) and I meant tulle?

Blog Entries
    Wow this is fantastic. I am one of those people that can't draw but would love to create a pictorial quilt. You have given us a medium to do that. I can't wait for the dvd.

Hello there-
    Well, to make it short, you find your picture, transfer it onto some batting. Then you chop up your fabric using a rotary cutter NOT scissors. Then you sprinkle the tiny pieces onto the batting which is laying on top of your backing. You have to work flat on a flat surface. I encourage students to use a design board (think cardboard or foam core board). Once the design covers the batting to your satisfaction, you cover the whole thing with bridal tulle (fine netting) and you quilt it to death with your machine.

Got it?
    When you say quilt it to death do you mean you pick a quilting pattern and then sew it very close together?

The tulle does knock back the colors a bit. You buy tulle wherever you buy sewing supplies. Like Joanns. The tulle is used to make bridal veils or costumes.

Videographer coming over tomorrow afternoon to start the video process. Whoohoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Linny
    Hello there-
    Well, to make it short, you find your picture, transfer it onto some batting. Then you chop up your fabric using a rotary cutter NOT scissors. Then you sprinkle the tiny pieces onto the batting which is laying on top of your backing. You have to work flat on a flat surface. I encourage students to use a design board (think cardboard or foam core board). Once the design covers the batting to your satisfaction, you cover the whole thing with bridal tulle (fine netting) and you quilt it to death with your machine.

Got it?
    When you say quilt it to death do you mean you pick a quilting pattern and then sew it very close together?
    When I say quilt it to death, I mean close together. The pattern doesn't really matter because you will not be able to see it anyway. This makes it a great place to practice! I meander about an inch apart. Arrrg! This is so much easier to show you than to tell you!!

Blog Entries
    Doesn't this just blow your mind when you think of all the ways and direction this quilting thing can take a person. I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Linny
    Hello there-

Got it?
    When I say quilt it to death, I mean close together. The pattern doesn't really matter because you will not be able to see it anyway. This makes it a great place to practice! I meander about an inch apart. Arrrg! This is so much easier to show you than to tell you!!
    Thanks. I'm going to experiment this weekend....can't wait to get started.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast