Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
making some scrappy blocks >

making some scrappy blocks

making some scrappy blocks

Old 01-08-2011, 02:24 PM

Thank you QM for being a fellow Project Linus blanketeer. I too have fun stash busting quilts. However, I do not use dryer sheets as foundations any more after learning that all fabric sheets contain an oil base. I have industrial allergies and had a terrible time when I pressed the blocks made with fabric sheets--no wonder. They left a stain on my ironing board too. The residue also turned into a spot on lighter colored fabrics within the blocks that I used with dryer sheets. Presently, I use the cheapest, lightest weight junk fabric I can find and cut that up for my foundation. Then I use my better fabrics on top for strip or scrappy piecing. As for fire safety, well, that is another reason I do not use the used fabric sheets. Happy stitching everyone.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:41 PM
QM
Power Poster

You are very welcome.

Please notice that Nolee's lovely avatar is another good use of scraps.

The purpose of the foundation is to hold the shape WHILE you put the block together. You could use old (ironed) newspaper pieces and have the work of tearing them off. I decided to use batting scraps both because I have them and because I am going to need batting anyway. The drier sheet won't fall apart, but if it did, the fabrics are sewn to each other and are as strong as any pieced quilt blocks.

What I used to use was squares of freezer paper. I got tired of pulling them off again. Also, 18.5" (the width of my freezer paper roll) turned out to be a bit on the wide side for the sort of effect i wanted.

BTW, I have made blocks that incorporated the sashing. I brought the scrap pieces to a sashing width from 2 edges of my foundation, then put the sashing directly on each block's foundation. For me, the making, folding the foundation back to trim, etc., was much harder than backing the sashings separately. Of course, if you are using you drier sheets or other fabric foundation, the whole question does not arise.

One time, I used puffy poly batting scraps for the block foundations, sashed normally and used a low loft batting under everything. The poly batting was very awkward ro work with as a foundation, but the results were very cute and cuddly.

I read somewhere that someone used sheets of the water soluable interfacing for scrappy blocks. To me, that seemed to be a way to throw your money away, since almost any fabric is cheaper per yard.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:50 PM
QM
Power Poster

Note that I have heavy duty allergies and don't use drier sheet for anything.

The size of your blocks in unimportant. It should be something you are comfortable with. I have done 18.5", which is too big to make the kind of free form pattern I enjoy. I have made 6" subblocks, which I posted, I usually now use either 9" or 12" (finished size) blocks. If you want to go to the work of serious layouts, you could have different sizes and shapes in a single quilt. I have not done that one ...YET.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:26 PM

In our quilt guild we have a scrap bag exchange. You take agallon bagg and fill it up with your scraps. you can fill up to 3 bags per person. Each person then can take another's bag for everyone they bring in up to the three bags. We then make scrap quilts out of those fabrics.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:36 PM
QM
Power Poster

that sounds like a great idea. sometimes we can be very tired of our own scraps.

My DH reminded me of a couple of points I should have made.
1. If your foundation is an old sheet or something like that, it is a good idea to stabilize it with startch or sizing before you begin.

2. If you are not comfortable working with bias, it's probably a good idea to stay stitch (machine baste) the edges of the block less than 1/4" from the edge to keep everything in place and stable until you sew the blocks together.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:09 PM

Another way of doing scrappy quilts for Project Linus, I am the North Wales Coordinator for them, is to get some plain Quilters Muslin, I can get it at a really good price locally, make it up and back it with Fleece, leaving out the batting, it makes a lovely, light but cosy quilt.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:50 PM

Question: What is the difference in this and a crazy quilt?
Old 01-09-2011, 01:22 AM
QM
Power Poster

Yes, it would. I have done something similar before.

I guess I'll have to make another. DH has decided that he can't do without this quilt. I'll probably get it bordered tomorrow.

You may note that I have staggered the blocks, ro reduce the bulk of the corners, since I decided to do without sashing on this one.

Body of the quilt finished
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156415[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-156410.jpe  
Old 01-09-2011, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by QM
Yes, it would. I have done something similar before.

I guess I'll have to make another. DH has decided that he can't do without this quilt. I'll probably get it bordered tomorrow.

You may note that I have staggered the blocks, ro reduce the bulk of the corners, since I decided to do without sashing on this one.
Thank you for sharing. A wonderful and QUICK way to use scraps. I love PP and this will be fun without all the tearing afterwards...:) A super quilt for the kids to use when on a picnic
Old 01-09-2011, 05:56 AM

Crazy quilting has a lot of embellishments like so: [IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...razy-quilt.jpg[/IMG]

BTW this is NOT one that I have done :( which I had.