Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
making some scrappy blocks >

making some scrappy blocks

making some scrappy blocks

Old 01-09-2011, 11:52 AM

Say, QultingaddictUK, on that fleece backing for Project Linus quilts, do you hand tie the quilt or machine quilt it? My hands are arthritic so I do everything by machine quilting. Does Fleece stretch too much for a meandering stitch?
Old 01-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Jim

very nice and what a great way to use all those scraps...I also see some of my fabric stash in there...lol
Old 01-09-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by All Thumbs
Say, QultingaddictUK, on that fleece backing for Project Linus quilts, do you hand tie the quilt or machine quilt it? My hands are arthritic so I do everything by machine quilting. Does Fleece stretch too much for a meandering stitch?
In a word yes the fleece does stretch but I still do it by machine by doing a small motif or group of stitches haphazardly, like "tying" but by machine, works a treat as long as you do plenty of them.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:40 PM
QM
Power Poster

I have recently done 3 or 4 with fleece backs. I tried it once years ago and gave up on it. The difference is that now, when I am pin basting, I am rolling my work around a board (1x4, sanded carefully my my DH, with slightly rounded edges). I work to make it smooth, rather than pulling taut, as I used to do. Because I don't stretch the fleece, everthing comes out right. I quilt with a walking foot, generally in the ditch and once between block edges. I start in each direction in the middle and work out. No more puckers.

I have also done the same method Quiltingaddict UK uses, using an asterisk stitch. That works nicely too.

That is a lovely example of crazy quilting.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:09 PM

Thanks QM and QultingaddictUK. Wonder what would happen if I put the fleece on top rather than the bottom? I have the new Bernina Series 820 machine and imagine it has something like an asterisk stitch. Generally, I do a lot of cross-hatching on my charity quilts using a wavy serpentine quilting stitch.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:22 PM

Thank you so much, QM, for the tutorial. I love to make Project Linus quilts and I have lots of colorful scraps. This is a fun way to use them! I'm thinking of making 12 blocks with sashing in-between. I have heard of this idea but never really understood it till I saw your tutorial. Thanks! :thumbup:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-157056.jpe  
Old 01-10-2011, 12:10 AM
QM
Power Poster

You are most welcome That's a really nice block. You used lots of color and value contrast. I look forward to seeing your quilt. You are not alone in needing a push in the right direction. One member of my guild, who has been quilting for about 40 years insists that they MUST be made by paper piecing to look good. You proved her wrong.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by QM
You are most welcome That's a really nice block. You used lots of color and value contrast. I look forward to seeing your quilt. You are not alone in needing a push in the right direction. One member of my guild, who has been quilting for about 40 years insists that they MUST be made by paper piecing to look good. You proved her wrong.
ditto, lovely block
Old 01-10-2011, 08:46 AM

Referencing the heart quilt back on Page Two, QM, are those hearts appliqued and if so did you raw-edge stitch all around? Seems that would take me too long for a charity quilt. I bet one could just cut out and let foundation show through too, albiet all the hearts would be the same color. Again, I would have to raw edge stitch for durability. Sure is a nice quilt and Valentine's Day is not too far off!
Old 01-10-2011, 04:32 PM
QM
Power Poster

Those hearts were hand appliqud, although machine applique would work too.

In every quilt, I put in the amount of time the quilt seems to require. I have hand appliqued several charity quilts. You need to do what is comfortable for you. I try to make every charity quilt be good looking and good work, regardless of how much work there is. I try for fabrics that make it interesting both for me and for the person who gets it.

I have posted a pieced heart quilt I did, which was one of my earliest quilt designs. I don't find a picture of an early charity quilt that I did which was a large walking, fleece machine appliqued teddy bear holding 3 heart shaped balloons on strings. Feel free to do what works for you.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-157499.jpe