Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 9 10

Thread: My Way of Handquilting

Blog Entries
    You may only do one stitch at a time but your quilting is fabulous. Well done

I just completed looking and reading all 23 pages of this posting. What wonderful work Andrea. I have been a fan of yours for a long time. I hand quilted for many years but can not do it anymore probably because I didn't use proper hand and finger movements and damaged my knuckles. Thank you for sharing your method. I was so glad to get a link to your web site, I will now go there a spend a while looking at all your gorgeous quilt.

Your post is my FIRST bookmark!! I almost cried looking at your beautiful handpquilting!! It is the BEST that i have ever seen! Wow!! I am working on stretching my skills. Your post inspires me to be open to handquilting.

a friend of mine gave me his beloved mothers quilt frame rails. He knew that I was involved in the quilting world. It is about 10-12 feet long. Another friend gave me the legs that should hold the frame. I have held onto these for a couple of years. I need to give this a try. Thank you for inspiring us to stretch our skills!!!

Sandy

ps: his mom passed away a couple of years ago....I cherish the gift he entrusted in me. It is time that I used them.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Barb and Sandy,
    thank you for your posts. I am always happy to spread the word and when my work encourages others to try or keep on hand quilting. It's such a wonderful and versatile craft and I am very thankful for this gift.
    Happy Quilting!
    Andrea

RE: hole in fingernail....Have done that too. Next time I quilted I applied a false fingernail and saved my real one from injury.
    I have a friend who quilts one stitch at a time, However, she inserts her needle straight down and brings it straight up to the top. She wins competitions when she enters her quilts in them. She uses hoops and/or frame quilting. She also machine quilts on LA for $. Multi-talented, she does not create her own designs yet... Kudos to all the artistic designers of quilts! You have a special place in the quilting world with your talents. I have quilted my first full-sized pieced quilt with a feather motif. It is not that hard and results are very satisfying. You inspire me to expand my quilting efforts. BTW, I use thimbles, top and bottom to save my fingers and Frixion pens for marking. I got the pens on Amazon.
    Last edited by adamae; 01-27-2014 at 02:31 PM. Reason: clarifying and additional info

Your hand quilting is just beautiful.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Your work is beautiful!
    Reminds me of the quilting done by a German lady who's name I can't remember...
    Since I followed one of her workshops years ago, I've always tried to replicate her way of quilting, but I never succeeded to make those small and regular stitches when taking only one stitch on my needle.
    Ann
    Quilting in a Belgian village...

Having been thinking about the name of that German lady, and suddenly it popped up...
    And since you're called Andrea here, I guess you're one and the same? Andrea Stracke...
    It were two very inspiring days then... And although I went back to the rocking stitch, that workshop is still inspiring my quilting designs.
    So I have been so lucky to see your work in real life (on that workshop, and on the European Quilting Championship in Veldhoven, the Netherlands) and it is truly amazing...
    Ann
    Quilting in a Belgian village...

Yes Ann, it's me! This is really amazing to meet you here. Sometimes the world is really small....
    How good to know that you still feel inspired by the workshops and that you saw my quilt in Veldhoven. I am going to enter a quilt there again this year.
    All the best and Happy Quilting!

your stitching is superb!
    A rolling stone gathers no moss

Your quilting is gorgeous!!! I take only 1 stitch at a time also and feel I have better control over the stitch length that way.
    Kim

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

Beautiful work.
    Liz Fairlie

Beautiful quilting. When I used to hand quilt in a round hoop I like to sit at the kitchen table in one of the kitchen chair and let the hoop rest on the edge of the table, that way I had both hands feet to do the needle work. I don't think any of my stitching was ever as good as you do. Your stitches are perfect.

Beautiful work
    Breast cancer survivor 3 yrs now

Blog Entries
    *** Beautiful work.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

needles47

Quote Originally Posted by wvdek View Post
    Your stitching is exquisite as always. I know you have practiced your technique for a long time - haven't you?
    Oh how I wish we could have a sit down together and you show us in person. Just wonderful.
    OH ladies just throw out the rule book and try it. Your work is BEAUTIFUL and i for one cant wait to try it your way. Thank you Joanne

You must have tough fingers I can't hand sew without a leather thimble, my fingers get to sore and I poke my self all the time if I don't use one and even when I do I still do it. I have also poked my self under my finger nails, but we all do what works best for us you do beautiful work I think we all do hand quilting differently.

Needle

Quote Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt View Post
    Here are some pictures about my personal way of handquilting. As you can see I don't use a thimble and I only do single stitches.
    Wha size needles do you use to hand quilt.
    Breast cancer survivor 3 yrs now

Blog Entries
    Oh my goodness! Beautiful work.

My goodness! That is gorgeous. Thanks so much for showing us.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by theifner View Post
    Wha size needles do you use to hand quilt.
    Iwould send her a pm as this was first posted in 2011
    Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt View Post
    I use a John James Betweens #11. These are one of my favourite brands.
    I found this earlier on in a post.
    Anna Quilts

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 9 10