Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
My Way of Handquilting >

My Way of Handquilting

My Way of Handquilting

Old 08-03-2011, 06:48 AM

I will try to find this book to read.

I agree that your quilting is "quite efficient." :-)

And I would think with your skill level your time would be equal to a multiple stitch quilter and certainly better than those of us still trying to master that multiple rocking quilt technique and never finishing anything as it is not "good enough."

Thanks again for sharing all your techniques and information on this post today. I keep coming back to see the additional comments.

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
Originally Posted by ccthomas
Did you adapt this "one stitch quilting technique" or did someone teach you--your mother or grandmother? Do you not like the multiple stitch method that is always emphasized? is there more control with one stitch?

I am curious as others have posted on the time factor of one stitch?

Again, I really appreciate your sharing your quilting pictures.
I am a self taught quilter. Unfortunately my home country (Germany) does not have a quilting tradition like the US have and before I started quilting in 1989 I didn't even know what a quilt is and I had never seen one. I found a book about quilts in my favourite library and that is how I got hooked to it. My mother and my grandmother both did knitting, embroidery and other crafts.
When I started hand quilting and studied the pictures in my book I tried very hard to put several stitches on the needle because the author emphasised this was the right way to quilt. I never felt comfortable with using a thimble as well. Just before I began my second quilt I found a book written by Barbara Chainey, a very famous quilter, quilt historian and author from UK. It was a great relief to read her statement about doing single stitches for practice first! And she also wrote that is okay to keep that method when it works better for you. Well, I kept that method for me. I have a better control on my quilting stitches and they are more even - and I think I quilt quite efficient. For me the time factor is not so important. But this is just my personal point of view!
Old 08-03-2011, 06:49 AM

WOW, thank you SEW very much, Andrea, for posting these pictures. As usual, I am in awe of your beautiful work. :)
Old 08-03-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by gigi10
I am familiar with Quilter's Dream Batting, do you like the cotton? or something else? I can not find a batting that gives me the results I am looking for. Every manufactor seems to have changed what they produce.....going green....please tell me the specific name because it sure looks like you are getting a great result.
The Quilter's Dream I tried once was "request". For the quilt on these pictures here I used Hobbs 80/20. I like the very traditional look of quilt and I prefer the low loft ones because they are much easier to hand quilt. For one of my coming projects I am going to use wool again - it's also great for hand quilting.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:15 AM

Beautiful! Thank you Andrea!
I never felt comfortable with thimbles until I have found the Open sided thimble of Clover. The rocking moving is not for me, and I agree: the good way to do something is the way that works for everyone. I quilt with a frame, not too tight.
I do hand quilting but my stitches are not as regular as yours! Patience and time…I started quilting 4 years ago! I’ll try marking with a needle instead of pencil.

Patricia
Old 08-03-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Afton
What do you use to mark the lines to be quilted?
On these pictures I quilt freehand without markings. When I mark I use watercolor pencils for dark fabrics and the method of needlemarking for lighter ones.
My "freehand" quilting is "quilting under the influence" or so it seems with my lines that can't stay straight.

I only baste for a larger project - under 14" square, I just hand hold it and keep smoothing as I go. I only use Warm 'n Natural and I find it has such a nice grip, I don't need anything for basting (I do start at the center and work outwards). I am told this is not the type of batting for nice hand quilting, but as particular as I am in other areas, I guess I should really pay more attention to the quality of my hand quilting.

Nancy
Old 08-03-2011, 07:24 AM

I'm getting ready to do some hand quilting. My biggest problem is getting the back stitches to look like the top stitches. I love the idea of fewer stitches on the needle. I might try to get two, just to speed it up a little bit. I am so impressed with your exquisite work!
Old 08-03-2011, 07:25 AM

OMG, it's beautiful. How long does it take you to quilt something like this one stitch at a time?
Old 08-03-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by barbie50
I'm getting ready to do some hand quilting. My biggest problem is getting the back stitches to look like the top stitches. I love the idea of fewer stitches on the needle. I might try to get two, just to speed it up a little bit. I am so impressed with your exquisite work!
Hey Barbie50, make sure you're inserting your needle straight down through all layers and not on an angle.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Afton
What do you use to mark the lines to be quilted?
On these pictures I quilt freehand without markings. When I mark I use watercolor pencils for dark fabrics and the method of needlemarking for lighter ones.
Where do you get the watercolor pencils?
Old 08-03-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by chamby
Where do you get the watercolor pencils?
Here you can buy them in shops with supplies for painters and artists.