Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Fabric covered needlework box (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/fabric-covered-needlework-box-t28902.html)

Chrickett 01-15-2010 09:41 AM

THANK YOU VERY MUCH LACELADY, IT IS A GREAT HELP. I AMOFF TO TRY AND MAKE MY BOX, WILL SEND PICTURES WHEN I AM FINISHED

Lacelady 01-15-2010 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Chrickett
THANK YOU VERY MUCH LACELADY, IT IS A GREAT HELP. I AMOFF TO TRY AND MAKE MY BOX, WILL SEND PICTURES WHEN I AM FINISHED

Best of luck, look forward to the pics.

Butterflyspain 01-20-2010 07:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is another I have made. However I made a boo boo, but as its all mine I am not so bothered. I actually forgot to put a seam down the triangles.

My thanks to Lesley for the beautiful material. she was my Secret Santa and gave me this fab fabric. This is No. 4. Have 2 more to make.

BTW I gave the 3 I made to my friends at the Sewing Club I go to for helping me and the absolutely loved them. It made my day when I saw their faces.

brushandthimble 01-20-2010 07:31 AM

I love your fabric! and the butterfly! I want that one, please.:)

Butterflyspain 01-20-2010 07:33 AM

Sorry Brush & Thimble, I have to have this one its got my butterfly on it. Its really gorgeous material though

Elle

Chrickett 01-20-2010 02:15 PM

you can send that one to me please,
I am haveng trouble with the 6 sided pattern, can't seem to get all the sides to come out even one is always off
:?: How did you get it to come out??

Butterflyspain 01-20-2010 03:26 PM

I am haveng trouble with the 6 sided pattern, can't seem to get all the sides to come out even one is always off

To be honest I have one side that is slightly out. What I do I measure the outer box up against the base and just trim as necessary before I put the material on of course and mark that side that it goes with it. Easiest way out I thought.

Elle

sandpat 01-20-2010 04:39 PM

Elle...great job and of course, that butterfly on the top is perfect for your box! You don't even have to put your name on it! Oh well about the seams on the gussets, it will work anyway, maybe just a quick fiddle with it to close it up. It looks nice all loaded up!

Lacelady 01-20-2010 04:40 PM

Elle, your box looks great, I love the way you fussy cut that fabric, well done. Don't worry about the missing seams, they are just there to help the gussets to fold up. If you have a problem with them not wanting to fold up, you could just put a few hand stitches in down the centre to persuade them. I think you made a great job of it.

Lacelady 01-20-2010 04:44 PM

Did you do them with a compass? When you draw out the lid of the box, you use a compass to draw a circle the size of the lid. Keep the compass at the same radius of the circle, put the point of the compass anywhere on the circle, and use the pencil to make a small mark further round the circle. Then put the point of the compass on that mark you made, and make another mark further round the circle. If you keep doing that, making sure that your compass measurement hasn't changed, when you get back to where you started, you should have six marks around the circle. Join them up with straight lines, and that should give you a perfect hexagon.