Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   How to Make an Easy Patchwork Jacket (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/how-make-easy-patchwork-jacket-t48923.html)

aborning 12-08-2010 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by UglyCook

Originally Posted by purrfectquilts
Is the jacket heavy with all those extra seams and thread? Or bulky? Do you have a picture? Sounds like a great idea.

Thanks.

This does turn out a fairly heavy and very warm jacket. Page through the messages for several pictures.

Has anyone tried making one uisng a cotton botton under the patches --for a more quilted look?

UglyCook 12-08-2010 09:44 AM

I saw one made on a muslin base. It was much lighter but required more fitting skills than I have.

dyer804 12-08-2010 01:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by aborning

Is the jacket heavy with all those extra seams and thread? Or bulky? Do you have a picture? Sounds like a great idea.

Thanks.

This does turn out a fairly heavy and very warm jacket. Page through the messages for several pictures.

Has anyone tried making one uisng a cotton botton under the patches --for a more quilted look?

I used a regular, simple jacket pattern and cut out cotton lining and quilted onto it. Then I sewed the pieces together just like you would when making a jacket out of pre-quilted fabric. It is still quite heavy and warm. Definitely a winter jacket in CA! I will try to attach a picture.

Jacket for my mom - front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]140112[/ATTACH]

back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]140113[/ATTACH]

Nell 12-08-2010 01:57 PM

Very nice!

purrfectquilts 12-08-2010 03:30 PM

Good job! I like the color combinations. Easy to make too. Bet your mom was very pleased.

deb24 12-11-2010 09:32 PM

I love all the jackets shown here. I am a newby - have not made a quilt yet. Can this be done using fleese material?

Angel 12-15-2010 04:56 PM

OR.....you can right click on the instructions & "save" to favourites....it's as easy as that!

granniegg 12-19-2010 08:06 AM

I bought 3 books and have several patterns....yours was the best for clarity and simplicity. Thank you so much.
I can always rely on this board for the best instructions cause they are the "trenches"

Happy Holidays.Grannie GG

UglyCook 12-19-2010 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by deb24
I love all the jackets shown here. I am a newby - have not made a quilt yet. Can this be done using fleese material?

I'm not sure, but why not give it a try? You would just have to be very careful not to stretch the fleece as you work.

luckylindy333 12-20-2010 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by dyer804

Originally Posted by aborning

Thanks.

I used a regular, simple jacket pattern and cut out cotton lining and quilted onto it. Then I sewed the pieces together just like you would when making a jacket out of pre-quilted fabric. It is still quite heavy and warm. Definitely a winter jacket in CA! I will try to attach a picture.

Your jacket is so pretty! I love the choice of fabrics and how nicely they lined up...