quick way to create half square triangles >

quick way to create half square triangles

quick way to create half square triangles

Old 12-13-2010, 12:07 PM

what is bias edges?
Old 12-13-2010, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Darlene's
what is bias edges?
Fabric is made of threads, or yarns, woven together at right angles. Threads that run the length of the fabric, parallel to the selvage, are called the lengthwise straight of grain. Those that run across the fabric width, from selvage to selvage, are called crosswise straight of grain. All other grains are considered bias. True bias runs at a 45 degree angle across the intersection of the two straight grains, diagonally. See photo below.

I hope this helps. I did not know a thing about grain lines when I first began sewing, but asked for help and learned. This is what is so wonderful about this board, there is help abound.

Blessings, Char
Attached Thumbnails attachment-142903.jpe  
Old 12-13-2010, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by oma66
Originally Posted by Darlene's
what is bias edges?
Fabric is made of threads, or yarns, woven together at right angles. Threads that run the length of the fabric, parallel to the selvage, are called the lengthwise straight of grain. Those that run across the fabric width, from selvage to selvage, are called crosswise straight of grain. All other grains are considered bias. True bias runs at a 45 degree angle across the intersection of the two straight grains, diagonally. See photo below.

I hope this helps. I did not know a thing about grain lines when I first began sewing, but asked for help and learned. This is what is so wonderful about this board, there is help abound.

Blessings, Char
I got it ...I know about the grains of the material but I never knew about the bias lol thank you so much Char for your time in explaining this to me :) Merry Christmas !!
Old 12-21-2010, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by salmonsweet
Super! Thank you oma66.

Do you have German roots by any chance? Oma is what I used to call my Grannies in Germany. :)
No, but my husband is Dutch and they call grandparents Oma and Opa also. I like it because when our grandchildren talk about us everyone knows they mean us and not their other grandmothers and grandfathers - their are 5 grandmothers and four grandfathers ( that includes greatgrandmothers and great grandfathers.) We lived in Germany - Hahn- for five years. It is so beautiful there. We lived in Holland for six years - Maastrict, Stein and Uden. It is also beautiful there. We lived in Italy for 2 years and it has a beauty also. Now we are in beautiful Arizona and if you have ever been here you know the beauty is very different from other states.
Oma66, what a wonderful tutorial! Thank you so much for taking the time to make it and share with your quilter friends. I am soooooooooooo gonna use this method.

Oh, in my family, my mother is known as "Jeddah," which is Arabic for grandmother. My folks used to live in Saudi Arabia and they picked up the name there. It helped to distinguish her from the other grandmother -- both grandmothers lived in the the same city with the grandchildren.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:23 AM

I had an Oma and Opa from Halverson/Elburg area of Holland. They were my great-grandparents. Ma and Pa were my grandparents who came to America in 1903 on their honeymoon and never went back. They lived across the street from us all my life. My Pa was the oldest of 21 children. I love shocking people with that fact....and the Duggars think they have a big family, LOL. My parents just celebrated their 72nd wedding anniversary on Thanksgiving Day.

What wonderful memories you just brought me.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:33 PM

WOW! I am so excited to do this. Thank ypo so very much.
I am sure that most of you have seen this method of creating half square triangles, but perhaps those new to quilting have not. the pictures below, I hope, show how it is done very clearly. I made enough half square triangles for a full size quilt in one long afternoon - that includes cutting, sewing, ironing and squaring up the blocks.
:-D
Old 12-23-2010, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Marmie
WOW! I am so excited to do this. Thank you so very much.
I am sure that most of you have seen this method of creating half square triangles, but perhaps those new to quilting have not. the pictures below, I hope, show how it is done very clearly. I made enough half square triangles for a full size quilt in one long afternoon - that includes cutting, sewing, ironing and squaring up the blocks.
:-D
Old 12-23-2010, 08:37 PM

Neat! I've near seen this method! Will have to try this one! Thanks so much for sharing.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:59 AM

That is too easy for words! No wonder I love to quilt!
Jeanie
Old 12-31-2010, 05:07 PM

Wow, that will be super!