Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
quick way to create half square triangles >

quick way to create half square triangles

quick way to create half square triangles

Old 12-06-2010, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mesissy
Please explain because i dont understand from looking at the pictures. I'm an idiot. lol Thanks
2 contrasting squares of fabric, right sides facing.
sew 1/4 inch seam allowance on all four sides
cut diagonally top left to bottom right, do not move the sqs. then cut diagonally top right to bottom left
now you have 4 half square triangles

When I did it for a second quilt, I places my 9 1/2 inch ruler on point so I did not get bias edges. It takes more fabric that way, but if you do not like working with bias edges, place your ruler on point, otherwise, just cut the sqs. cross grain. I do both depending on the amount of fabric I have to work with. hope this helps.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:54 PM

Thanks so much for the explanation. I get it now. lol cheryl
Old 12-08-2010, 12:52 PM

Super! Thank you oma66.

Do you have German roots by any chance? Oma is what I used to call my Grannies in Germany. :)
Old 12-08-2010, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by salmonsweet
Super! Thank you oma66.

Do you have German roots by any chance? Oma is what I used to call my Grannies in Germany. :)
No, but my husband is Dutch and they call grandparents Oma and Opa also. I like it because when our grandchildren talk about us everyone knows they mean us and not their other grandmothers and grandfathers - their are 5 grandmothers and four grandfathers ( that includes greatgrandmothers and great grandfathers.) We lived in Germany - Hahn- for five years. It is so beautiful there. We lived in Holland for six years - Maastrict, Stein and Uden. It is also beautiful there. We lived in Italy for 2 years and it has a beauty also. Now we are in beautiful Arizona and if you have ever been here you know the beauty is very different from other states.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by oma66
Please explain because i dont understand from looking at the pictures. I'm an idiot. lol Thanks
cut diagonally top left to bottom right, do not move the sqs. then cut diagonally top right to bottom left

When I did it for a second quilt, I places my 9 1/2 inch ruler on point so I did not get bias edges. It takes more fabric that way, but if you do not like working with bias edges, place your ruler on point, otherwise, just cut the sqs. cross grain. I do both depending on the amount of fabric I have to work with. hope this helps.
Thanks again......one other quick question, please. Is it possible to make quarter size triangles with this type of method? I want to make the Card Trick pattern quilt but it has quarter triangles in it. Thanks so much Cheryl
Old 12-08-2010, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by salmonsweet
Super! Thank you oma66.

No, but my husband is Dutch and they call grandparents Oma and Opa also. I like it because when our grandchildren talk about us everyone knows they mean us and not their other grandmothers and grandfathers - their are 5 grandmothers and four grandfathers ( that includes greatgrandmothers and great grandfathers.) We lived in Germany - Hahn- for five years. It is so beautiful there. We lived in Holland for six years - Maastrict, Stein and Uden. It is also beautiful there. We lived in Italy for 2 years and it has a beauty also. Now we are in beautiful Arizona and if you have ever been here you know the beauty is very different from other states.
My sister lived in Maastricht for three years, she went to Uni there. I liked it a lot. I've never been to Arizona, it does sound amazing. Maybe some day...
Old 12-09-2010, 08:47 PM

Thanks again......one other quick question, please. Is it possible to make quarter size triangles with this type of method? I want to make the Card Trick pattern quilt but it has quarter triangles in it. Thanks so much Cheryl
Cheryl, no you can not make quarter sq. triangles using the same method as the half sq. triangles, but you can use the half sq. triangles to make quarter sq triangles using the method below.

Take two of the hst and match up the seams, putting colors opposite each other as in photo two (got photos out order).
Now draw a line from the top left corner to the bottom right corner as in photo one. Sew 1/4 inch seam on each side of the line. Now cut apart on the drawn line, always using a ruler and cutter. Now you have two qst. See how easy it is. Make sure your drawn line is very accurate from point to point exactly. This method saves a lot of time.
I hope I explained it well enough.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-140657.jpe   attachment-140658.jpe   attachment-140660.jpe  
Old 12-09-2010, 09:17 PM

Cheryl, no you can not make quarter sq. triangles using the same method as the half sq. triangles, but you can use the half sq. triangles to make quarter sq triangles using the method below.

Take two of the hst and match up the seams, putting colors opposite each other as in photo two (got photos out order).
Now draw a line from the top left corner to the bottom right corner as in photo one. Sew 1/4 inch seam on each side of the line. Now cut apart on the drawn line, always using a ruler and cutter. Now you have two qst. See how easy it is. Make sure your drawn line is very accurate from point to point exactly. This method saves a lot of time.
I hope I explained it well enough.
Thanks ever so much. Hugs Cheryl
Old 12-13-2010, 07:20 AM

wow that's a great trick thank you so much !!! But I'm new to quilting of course so what is " bias " mean ?? I see it on my board but have no idea lol ;)
Old 12-13-2010, 12:04 PM

wow that's a great trick thank you so much !!! But I'm new to quilting of course so what is " bias " mean ?? I see it on my board but have no idea lol ;)