Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Rag Quilt Tutorial >

Rag Quilt Tutorial

Rag Quilt Tutorial

Old 03-10-2011, 06:05 PM

Great tutorial. Thanks for taking the time to post the instructions. I can't wait to get started. I've been thinking about it for a long time and you have made it look so easy!
Old 03-10-2011, 06:08 PM

If you want to save your hands in the clipping I would suggest that you purchase what is called rag quilt snips. They are spring loaded for easier cutting.[/quote]

If you have a die cutter you can also buy the Accuquilt rag quilt dies. I have both the 8.5 and 5.5 rag quilt dies.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the great tutorial. It's going on my list. You
could not have made it more clear.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:46 PM

Great tute!
Old 03-10-2011, 08:10 PM

I have made a couple rag quilts, made of flannal and I thought the one with batting in it was heavy and like it better with just 2 pieces of fabric.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:18 PM

Love your quilt :lol: And your tut is one of the best :thumbup: Thank you
Old 03-10-2011, 09:02 PM

Last year I made my DGS a rag quilt. I was having a really hard time snipping all those seams. My DH suggested that I try my electric scissors for this chore. Boy, did that make the job go easier. You do need to watch how far you cut, but after awhile it got easier.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:38 AM

I've made several rag quilts. They are fun and easy. I use old jeans and old flannel shirts. If the jeans have a hole I run a stay stitch around it. If I don't have enough flannel I get it at Wally World super cheap I use that because it frays so nicely and I don't have to spend time clipping. What a chore that is. And I use a low loft batting. They are extremely warm and heavy. We travel in our 5th wheel, quite often in cold spots. We drag it out for our bed. It's warmer that a sleeping bag. I use 7" and 6" blocks. It goes faster. Also, you don't have to use the X. You can use any design. It's just to hold your sandwich together. I've also used dishwasher degter to paint on a design. You have to rinse that out after a while so the bleach stops it's action. They are so fun. You can add to them any time because you have no borders or binding or you can break them up just by ripping a seam.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:43 AM

I bought the rag quilt die for my accuquilt, that was freaken awesome!!!
Originally Posted by chamby
Originally Posted by SEW
Can you use flannel as the backer so your rag quilt is only 2 layers? or do you use it as batting?
Yes you can use flannal. Most rag quilts are made entirely of flannal so that it frays more. You can also use homespun which frays much more. I have made several of these and they are so much fun to make. If you want to save your hands in the clipping I would suggest that you purchase what is called rag quilt snips. They are spring loaded for easier cutting.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:58 AM

I love to make rag quilts! I use cotton on the front, cotton batting in the middle, and flannel on the back...makes it multi seasonal :). I always use a reinforced straight stitch around the border, instead of making two trips around. Another way to help seams from coming apart is to make a border around the quilt, which eliminates multiple seams around the edges.