Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Really Easy Half Square Triangle Blocks

Thanks Rhonda. I Bookmarked it & it will be handy very soon. You do such great work.

Blog Entries
    Thank you everyone! I just hope it helps people to make HSTs without all the headaches.

Thanks for sharing! I use triangles on a roll. But this is cheaper and probably just as quick since I have to cut all the dog ears.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oma2526
    Thanks for sharing! I use triangles on a roll. But this is cheaper and probably just as quick since I have to cut all the dog ears.
    When I started quilting I couldn't afford to buy anything so I have never been one to buy anything if I can do it myself. This is so easy and is really accurate as long as you make sure the corners stay on the seams as you cut.

Letter on its way. Thanks for the free tutorial. My mother made a lot of quilts and it always looked like a lot of work. I'm anxious to try my hand using your templates and your tutorial.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Oma and Pooh's mom.

Blog Entries
    Clever!!!! I didn't know there was so little waste with that method. I might have to try that!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Clever!!!! I didn't know there was so little waste with that method. I might have to try that!!
    If you figure the size of your strips close to what you will need and you place your template close to the last cut there isn't much waste.

To figure your size of strips measure from the middle of your template to one corner then add a 1/4" seam allowance if you are cutting with the strips open. Add a 1/2" if you are using the double seams method.( A seam allowance for each side on the double seams.)

Blog Entries
    I love your idea but afer the first couple od blocks there isn't any printed instructions. Should there be? thanks for all youdo, peterparley

Thank you sooooo much! This makes them seem so much easier that I think I can do them and get them to come out right!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peterparley
    I love your idea but afer the first couple od blocks there isn't any printed instructions. Should there be? thanks for all youdo, peterparley
    If I forget to add a caption to the picture it won't let me go back and add it in. I was dealing with my son on the phone when I added the those pictures figuring I could go back and edit but it wouldn't let me. I discovered the hard way I had to have something in there for words or the system didn't think there was anything to edit and wouldn't let me go back to it. I decided the pictures spoke for themselves well enough I didn't worry about it. If you need any clarification just ask! thanks!

Great tutorial Rhonda! I'm definately going to give it a try. There are so may great quilts out there made with half square triangles and I've always just looked at them and thought "if only". Well, I think with you method "if only" has arrived! Thanks!!!!! :)

Blog Entries
    If you or anyone has any questions Dancing Needle just let me know! I think it is easy to make the HSTs this way. I never liked the idea of cutting squares out with a large template and then sewing and cutting again. This eliminates some of those steps and you don't have to buy any aids to make HSTs with. With the open seam method there are no dogears. The HST should come out accurate if you pay attention to your template having the corners on the seam and don't let the template move as you cut.

well aint that just spiffy?!!

Ok, I have a stupid question, Im really not this dense, but I have had a migraine goin on the second day.

So if my pattern calls for a 4 inch HST I just make myself a 4" template and sew a couple strips and I am ready to go??? It sounds to easy (good) to be true.

Am I thinking right? I am so funny, I can wrap my head around the hardest things, but the easy stuff trips me up.

Blog Entries
    Yes that is right. Measure the template from the center to the point. That plus 1/2" is the width you need for each strip.

So a 4" HST = 2 -3 1/2" wide strips by as long as you want.
    Sew strips together open and iron the seams.
    Set the 4" template on the seam on point. Two opposite corners need to be on the seam. Rotary cut accurately around the template.

You will get a 4" HST. Pay attention to cutting accurately and you won't have to trim anything. Don't let the template move while you are cutting.

I use sandpaper strips glued on the back of my template to get a good grip so it doesn't move.

thank you for your patience. LOL I really appreciate it. Did you see my avatar? the borders had around 120 HST. I made them and then did the whole square up thing after sewing. I will definitely use this next time.

Blog Entries
    You're welcome! I hate to see people struggling with these HSTs when they are really pretty easy to do. Hope you enjoy it!

Great Tutorial, Rhonda!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by retrogirl02
    Great Tutorial, Rhonda!!
    thanks Retrogirl

Blog Entries
    Hey Rhonda, I have a question about cutting the square out of the center. It looks like you butt them up against each other - so how do you keep the rotary cutter from overshooting the corner? (Hope that makes sense.) If you cut past the corner and don't maintain the same angle, then you will lose part of the next piece.

You can get a more exact cut utilizing the smaller rotary cutters.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Hey Rhonda, I have a question about cutting the square out of the center. It looks like you butt them up against each other - so how do you keep the rotary cutter from overshooting the corner? (Hope that makes sense.) If you cut past the corner and don't maintain the same angle, then you will lose part of the next piece.
    Mad for myself I use a wider strip but I wanted to keep the waste down for everyone. I just do it carefully on the corners and don't go any farther than I have to. About a 1/4" from the corner or less and you should do ok. You can always pull the square up and out and run the blade over the bit of fabric still connected.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by retrogirl02
    You can get a more exact cut utilizing the smaller rotary cutters.
    I've never had one but that would be a good idea too!

Rhonda, I happend to get one as a gift or free with a mat or something or I probably wouldn't have tried them...they are perfect for small/mini blocks and I find I'm using it far more often than I had expected.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast