Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Really Easy Half Square Triangle Blocks >

Really Easy Half Square Triangle Blocks

Really Easy Half Square Triangle Blocks

Old 10-21-2010, 12:15 AM

Location: Massachusetts / Vermont === Now in ==Green River Utah = Owner of GreenRiverKOA Campground

Originally Posted by Rhonda
K this is how I used to do it. As I work in scrappy mostly I don't really do alot this way anymore but if you are doing a bunch of the same fabrics this is a quick easy way to do them. I actually started out seaming the strips on both sides and laying the template on the seam and only cutting out one half of the triangle. This works ok but I felt I had better accuracy with the strips open. Both would be fine to use. This is actually a bit quicker to do. But you do have to clean up the squares sometimes from dogears on some of them.
Hi Rhonda.. Thank you for the tutorial , it is so easy and accurate I copied it by dragging it to a folder on my desk top, and then printed it out to make a < ie > Booklet ..that way I can have the pages to look on to.. Thank you again

KandiKane < Elaine >
Old 10-21-2010, 12:33 AM

sorry to be negative, but people have trouble sewing the bias. With this method, you swap a triangle with one side on the bias for a square with all four sides on the bias. I don't think that is going to help the overall project.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
sorry to be negative, but people have trouble sewing the bias. With this method, you swap a triangle with one side on the bias for a square with all four sides on the bias. I don't think that is going to help the overall project.
You're not the first one to say this. I also welcome the negative as well as the positive comments. I did a test on it as this was brought up earlier on. I had no problem with the bias. I used a 3" template and as long as you don't pull on the fabric it didn't cause any problem with sewing them together.

If bias is a problem for anyone you can spray your fabric with spray sizing or starch and let it dry or iron it dry before you cut.

As I work in miniature usually -bias has never been a problem for me but I do understand that working in larger sizes it could be. I think the method is still quick and easy and the bias issue can be controlled so it won't be a problem. Just be aware that if you pull or stretch the fabric it will cause the squares to not be square. I also like to tack my seams so it keeps the squares in place as you sew.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:31 PM

Now THIS is an eye-opener !! Thanks, Rhonda
Old 10-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rainbow
Now THIS is an eye-opener !! Thanks, Rhonda
You're welcome!!
Old 11-02-2010, 09:30 AM

Thank you Rhonda, I love to find easy ways to make more time for quilting!!
Old 11-03-2010, 09:49 AM

Thanks so much for this easy tute. It's great!
Old 01-01-2011, 03:44 PM

THANK YOU...I can see that I will be using both your HST tutorials in my future quilting.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:17 PM

I tried this technique awhile back and its really easy to do.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

I so hate to see people struggling to make HSTs. It isn't hard at all to make them my way. It is quick and easy and you can make tons of them without buying anything except your fabric.

If bias ia a problem then spray with sizing and bias won't be a problem any more. It has never been a problem for me.

I cut strips and sew them together and have a stack ready. You do need a mini cutting mat for ease of cutting and a template. You do have to pay attention to cutting accurately. But this is so easy to flag sew the strips and then to cut in an assembly line fashion and you can make scads of HSTs in a short time. No dog ears no recutting.