Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Rhonda's Easy Way to Piece HST Quilt Blocks and others

Don't know how I missed this one, but you can bet I've got it copied now. Thanks, once again, for yet another great tutorial for making our lives easier.

OK, I just found this tutorial.... This is amazing.

Thank you

Blog Entries
    Rhonda that a beauitful block,very nice colors thank you for teaching us your useful info on block ,i always learn from your helpful tutorial,s

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nellie
    Rhonda that a beauitful block,very nice colors thank you for teaching us your useful info on block ,i always learn from your helpful tutorial,s
    Janet and Nellie you are more than welcome. I really enjoy sharing what I have learned!

Thanks Ronda. I think it is great that you will share, it is so much easier for me to understand your tutorials than to read it out of the book. I guess I an pretty simple minded. I am a true hands on person. Thanks again,you give me such an incentive to us up my scrapes and make something that looks good. Hugs to you. Pat

Hi Rhonda,

thanks for the tute. Great one and the pics help make things clearer. More tips for better quilt making in the future. :thumbup: :D

Blog Entries
    You're welcome! I hope to have more to share this year. Just have to think about what I want to add to the board.

I try to make a trial block, but it is hard to guess what the sizes are. Do you ever give the needed cutting instructions? I agree that the colors are very nice.
    Thanks, Jan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jankerr
    I try to make a trial block, but it is hard to guess what the sizes are. Do you ever give the needed cutting instructions? I agree that the colors are very nice.
    Thanks, Jan
    I sort of do for the designs I design, But there are several variables. What size quilt block do you want to make. How many "Blocks" are in the quilt block. I design using a 6 blocks across by 6 blocks down grid. If your quilt block is not one I designed I would have to see it to tell what you would need. I also design for a 4 x 4 grid also. and I do have some that are an 8 x 8.

If you are wanting the size for the strips for cutting out HSTS then here is how to figure it:

Set your template on point. Measure from the center of the template to one point (right to left) then add at least 1/2" for 2 seam allowances.
    So for a 2 1/2" template you will need strips that are 2 1/2" wide. But other sizes of templates will vary. The best way if you want to figure it is to measure.

I just lay the template on the fabric and see how wide I need to cut so it isn't too small and then I just cut it roughly the right size. But I am not too particular about saving every little bit of leftovers. I am more paranoid about it being too small and having to start over. So I go bigger to make sure I have enough.

Hope this helps. If you need help figuring what you need then send me the size template you are using and I will give you the size and numbers you need to cut.

Wow, gal, you've really outdone yourself! Thank you once again for the great tutorial! We love you!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alondra
    Wow, gal, you've really outdone yourself! Thank you once again for the great tutorial! We love you!
    Thanks! :mrgreen: You're good for my ego! LOL

Thanks! :mrgreen: You're good for my ego! LOL[/quote]

Hehehe... at least I'm good for something!

Blog Entries
    You sure have a different way of producing a block. I'm going to try this. Thanks so much.

Rhonda, Your great!!!! Thanks for sharing with us. I'm soooo knew to quilting, but I've fallen big time for it. And your helpful hints will make my learning so much more fun.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prayerquilter
    Rhonda, Your great!!!! Thanks for sharing with us. I'm soooo knew to quilting, but I've fallen big time for it. And your helpful hints will make my learning so much more fun.
    you're welcome. I hope you enjoy the process!

Ronda
    this tute was fascinating and very helpful, but I have one question: How does this affect the fabric requirements given for quilt patterns? Ok two questions! Is more fabric required? I usually buy more fabric to allow for cutting errors (Yes I make errors, lots of them, and usually end up using ALL the extra fabric anyway) !!! Your tute is very easy to understand. Thanks.

THank you Rhonda for the tutorial. You make it look so easy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sherriequilts
    Ronda
    this tute was fascinating and very helpful, but I have one question: How does this affect the fabric requirements given for quilt patterns? Ok two questions! Is more fabric required? I usually buy more fabric to allow for cutting errors (Yes I make errors, lots of them, and usually end up using ALL the extra fabric anyway) !!! Your tute is very easy to understand. Thanks.
    check out the HST tutorial and you will see there is little waste left. So it shouldn't take any more fabric than you would have anyway.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-37915-1.htm

-

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mhansen6
    THank you Rhonda for the tutorial. You make it look so easy.
    You're welcome! Once you learn how to make the "Blocks" as in Boston Blocks or Star Point Blocks etc it is just a matter of sewing squares together. It is easy.

Rhonda, I was looking at all the tuts you have and they are just to die for. But I just haven't seen it or by luck maybe I won't and I can tell you something about the HST or even your two tone square. You may need math and I'm not very good with that part. So you take your two squares that are different colors and sew they face to face all the way around, no opening. After you sew them together just cut from corner to corner turn and cut again and you get 4T. and if you want square's them make them big enough and sew the same way and just cut in the middle and then in the middle the other way and come out with four squares. I hope you didn't know this already and that's the only thing I could show everyone.
    Love being on the site you guys are GREAT. Thanks for everything.
    t4family5

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I belong to a BOM (well, 6 to be exact) and one month the block had 81 pieces. But...it looks a lot like yours. Their directions were horrible. I knew it wouldn't end up being 12 1/2" so I quit altogether. Now, I think I can use your way and do it. It has the exact same blocks as this. Like the three triangles together. Someone suggested I paper piece it and I nixed that idea. My hat is off to you. You should go on YouTube. I'd follow you!!!!!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    I love this! There are so many different ways to make HST, but I've never seen this one. Your explanations and pictures and diagrams were all so clear and easy to understand. Thank you so much for taking time to do this for all of us.
    Blessings!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    . .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ Sally

EXcellent!!! I am 'green'....meaning, I have my sewing machine, supplies and LOTS of material...and just don't know where to begin! I see so many patterns and ways to make different types of squares, the 'quickest' and 'easiest'..etc...and all I've been doing is 'lurking' and watching tutorials after tutorials!! I've noticed all quilts are made of 100% cotton? I know all of my material is not all cotton and I don't think all the thread I bought is either.. I have a Brother SQ-9000 and also an old Vintage Sears Kenmore. Anyways, best tutorial I've seen Rhonda!!

Blog Entries
    Thank you Rhonda!! Your pictures are perfect and so is your tute!
    Helen T.

gotta go get my writeing tablet, so i can write down the directions this looks like it will make a beautiful quilt, i only have done blocks so we will see what i can do itryed before but i just could not get the triamgles to work so i am going to try again thanks for the tuturiol
    hugs dora
    Dora (Alabama)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast