Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
So You Want To Make My Happy Lappy? >

So You Want To Make My Happy Lappy?

So You Want To Make My Happy Lappy?

Old 05-05-2010, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by cindygale
thank you for all the pictures. it sure makes a difference..just love your quilt. i have lots and lots of scraps and i will make your happy lappy scrap quilt. i love scrap quilts..thank you so much for sharing... :thumbup: :-D
Thank you, cindygale, for the nice comments and your welcome also! So happy you'll try this quilt! There's nothing to get wrong or out of place about it and is fun to design as you go.

:D :D :thumbup:
Old 05-05-2010, 06:46 AM

Thanks soooooooo much for the info. It is wonderful that people like you do things for us. I have this bookmarked, BUT I do have a 'dumb question for you.
What are:
HST's )
Dbl. prs. HST's

(((HUGS))
Old 05-05-2010, 06:50 AM

A special "Happy Mother's Day" to all you ladies! Hope your weekend is enjoyable!

I wanted to add:

SECRET #14. At nighttime with the lights off and only a nighlight glowing, you can check to see that all your darks are scattered across your quilt.

SECRET #15. If you still have trouble balancing the colors, you can always try this great secret I rely on from time to time and that is to view your quilt with a pair of binoculars from a distance from the wrong end of the binoculars. :D :D
Old 05-05-2010, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by ProudGranny5
Thanks soooooooo much for the info. It is wonderful that people like you do things for us. I have this bookmarked, BUT I do have a 'dumb question for you.
What are:
HST's )
Dbl. prs. HST's

(((HUGS))
Double pairs of Half Square Triangles! I'm so sorry. We quilters forget and abbreviate names of blocks and patterns that the newcomers to quilting are lost in our lingo. It's not a dumb question at all. Thank you for asking. Lots of viewers now have their question answered with thanks to you!! Thank you so much ProudGranny5. Now that you mentioned it, there are numerous ways to do a HST and the fastest way is to lay one block (RST) right sides together with your contrasting piece of fabric, draw a line diagonally from corner to corner and sew 1/4" away from the line, down one side and back up the other, chainsewing several at a time. Then cut the block in half on the line you drew. Open up. Now you have 2 HST's (half-square triangles)!! One block makes 2. So to make this quilt go fast, cut 2 blocks out to end up with 4 HST's!! Or cut 4 blocks out to end up with 8 HST's! Hope you have fun making this quilt and thank you for bookmarking it and commenting! BTW, what a nice group photo! Your GD are just adorable!!

:D :D :D
Old 05-05-2010, 07:25 AM

THANKS for info! ;)
Old 05-05-2010, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by ProudGranny5
THANKS for info! ;)
Your welcome!!!
:thumbup:
Old 05-05-2010, 07:39 AM

Holey Moley, it's so gorgeouos! What a sweetie pie to share your time & pattern with us. I would love to try this asap as i get my confidence in sewing as i am an beginner. Someone had email me with an pattern to try (rail fence) but i haven't gotten to it yet but did get some materials for it. Thanks again for sharing! :D :D :D :thumbup:
Old 05-05-2010, 07:40 AM

Another way to view your quilt (or blocks) is to look the wrong way through a door "peep hole". All the hardware stores have them and they are cheap -- but not always easy to find in my sewing room!! :lol: :lol:
Old 05-05-2010, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
Another way to view your quilt (or blocks) is to look the wrong way through a door "peep hole". All the hardware stores have them and they are cheap -- but not always easy to find in my sewing room!! :lol: :lol:
Thanks for mentioning that great tip!! And they are cheap! I thought about mentioning it too but didn't. Some people would prefer the peep holes!

:D :D
Old 05-05-2010, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by nwm50
Holey Moley, it's so gorgeouos! What a sweetie pie to share your time & pattern with us. I would love to try this asap as i get my confidence in sewing as i am an beginner. Someone had email me with an pattern to try (rail fence) but i haven't gotten to it yet but did get some materials for it. Thanks again for sharing! :D :D :D :thumbup:
Thank you soooo much nwm50!!! Welcome to the quilting world!!! How fun it is! This would be a great quilt to start on as it's "put every block where you feel" kind of quilt, a great thing for newbies. But triangles can be tricky!! Don't do like me and go on memory for your cutting size and cut a whole bunch 1/2" larger than they should have been. They turned out a little wonky to say the least after cutting them down to size and cutting off the points!! lol. hahaha. Maybe only a few people noticed :oops: ! It's a scrap quilt and you can't mess it up!!! I share my techniques because some people want to make it and others wondered how I did it. I just wanted to show how easy it really is and after you get some of the beginning blocks on the design wall, it just starts looking so exciting that you just can't wait to do some more blocks to see how it's going to go! It really is that much fun!! After you do a few blocks, post some pics of your blocks for us to see. We all love pictures!! :-D :-D :-D