Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 95

Thread: the technique tutorial making the rise and shine blocks

  1. #51
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,173
    Blog Entries
    1
    it is not paper pieced, it is designed on paper back fusable, fused to fabric, cut out and fused onto background fabric...no paper peicing involved...some people are just looking at it as a 'cheater-paper piecing' technique...has nothing to do with paper peicing...

  2. #52
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,585
    Well that is what I thought, then so many were referring to it as paper piecing - that is what confused me - thanks! I DO love that pattern/quilt!

  3. #53
    Senior Member quilting.addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bethlehem, GA
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    it is very easy and i have used the technique for lots of different designs...too much fun!
    By "a lot of different designs", do you mean still making a 6" block that is 1/4 of a circle, but something other than the sunrise look???? I have been playing with trying to do something different, using Word drawing...
    I love your quilt so much (and I seldom "copy"), I couldn't remember what you called it and I had to start a new post last night to get the info and save it!!
    Jeannie in GA

  4. #54
    Senior Member quilting.addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bethlehem, GA
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    it is not paper pieced, it is designed on paper back fusable, fused to fabric, cut out and fused onto background fabric...no paper peicing involved...some people are just looking at it as a 'cheater-paper piecing' technique...has nothing to do with paper peicing...
    One more question: do you use something small like Stork scissors?
    Jeannie

  5. #55
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,173
    Blog Entries
    1
    i use my 6" fiskar scissors, they are sharp to the point and work great, i thought my embroidery scissors were too small to cut these out and pretty much baby my embroidery scissors, i love them so much...i only do little snips with them...(the stork ones) i have a little bitty pair of very sharp 1 1/2 " scissors my daughter picked up at Michaels one day that would probably work great...they are just never where i need them. the fiskar's are always within reach...
    and i think i have a couple pictures of other blocks i've used the same technique on...i'll try to locate them
    Attached Images Attached Images



  6. #56
    Senior Member quilting.addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bethlehem, GA
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    i use my 6" fiskar scissors, they are sharp to the point and work great, i thought my embroidery scissors were too small to cut these out and pretty much baby my embroidery scissors, i love them so much...i only do little snips with them...(the stork ones) i have a little bitty pair of very sharp 1 1/2 " scissors my daughter picked up at Michaels one day that would probably work great...they are just never where i need them. the fiskar's are always within reach...
    and i think i have a couple pictures of other blocks i've used the same technique on...i'll try to locate them
    do I understand that you don't really stitch these down before quilting? you just count on the quilting stitches to hold these in place?

  7. #57
    Super Member plainpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mid-West
    Posts
    3,800
    Blog Entries
    11
    I'm also wondering if the blocks stay fused once they're washed? Nice,clear tute.Will have to try this.

  8. #58
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,173
    Blog Entries
    1
    if it is going to be washed you have to stitch your appliques down just like any fused applique. i tend to be 'lazy' about some stuff and at times will wait and stitch them down and quilt at the same time instead of stitching them all down then quilting... but they do need to be stitched unless it is just a wall hanging that will not be washed (unless of course you know about a permenent fusable that does not require any sewing???) i think i would still be apt to stitch; i hate my quilts coming apart :)

  9. #59
    Super Member plainpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mid-West
    Posts
    3,800
    Blog Entries
    11
    Thanks for the info.....I'm not good at zig zag stitch.Maybe someday
    they'll come up with a fusible that never has to be sewn down.
    We can hope.

    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    if it is going to be washed you have to stitch your appliques down just like any fused applique. i tend to be 'lazy' about some stuff and at times will wait and stitch them down and quilt at the same time instead of stitching them all down then quilting... but they do need to be stitched unless it is just a wall hanging that will not be washed (unless of course you know about a permenent fusable that does not require any sewing???) i think i would still be apt to stitch; i hate my quilts coming apart :)

  10. #60
    Senior Member quilting.addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bethlehem, GA
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    i use my 6" fiskar scissors, they are sharp to the point and work great, i thought my embroidery scissors were too small to cut these out and pretty much baby my embroidery scissors, i love them so much...i only do little snips with them...(the stork ones) i have a little bitty pair of very sharp 1 1/2 " scissors my daughter picked up at Michaels one day that would probably work great...they are just never where i need them. the fiskar's are always within reach...
    and i think i have a couple pictures of other blocks i've used the same technique on...i'll try to locate them
    Hi CK...all of my appliques are cut out and ready to be ironed on to my denim!! Have a few class teaching commitments and some sewing I promised to DGD's. Then sandwich two quilts, one for FMQ and one for hand quilting ...THEN I can get back to the sunrise quilt!

  11. #61
    Super Member omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,053
    IMPRESSIVE!
    You have almost convinced me to use more fusible in my work ;)

  12. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    1,406
    Great idea - wonderful illustrations and awesome patience for all the questions. Another technique to try.

  13. #63
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    s.cal
    Posts
    2,079
    Blog Entries
    1
    wow i like this pattern thank you

  14. #64
    Super Member sewmuchmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,996
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gorgeous quilt, love the tutorial thank you. :thumbup:

  15. #65
    Super Member Carsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,306
    ckcowl: What is the name of the other designs that you posted on page 2?? I love the bright colors.


    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    i'm not exactly sure what you are asking...i've been laying the blocks out side by side to figure out a layout. when i finally decide on the layout i will simply sew the blocks together, the usual way you sew blocks together.
    the fused part is the design fused onto the black 6 1/2" squares...i'm posting some blocks from a different project using same technique.
    i recommend drawing your own designs. but if you want to use that one it is in McCalls Quilting Jan/Feb 2010

  16. #66
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,712
    Blog Entries
    1
    Stupendously brilliant! THANK YOU!

  17. #67
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,712
    Blog Entries
    1
    [quote=justme2]Thanks for the info.....I'm not good at zig zag stitch.Maybe someday
    they'll come up with a fusible that never has to be sewn down.
    We can hope.

    [quote]

    They have - same brand I get mine mail order here in the UK but surely you can get it in the States? http://www.cottonpatch.co.uk/acatalo...les_Glues.html Scroll down, Heat n Bond Ultra.

  18. #68
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,173
    Blog Entries
    1
    there really aren't names for the other designs i guess...i just made them...they are going into a 'dizzy in new york' quilt i'm designing...with those colorful blocks and new york beauty blocks. when i showed those blocks i was just trying to show that the sky is the limit for the technique...make what ever you can cut out and have negative/positive pieces to fuse to 2 blocks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Carsey
    ckcowl: What is the name of the other designs that you posted on page 2?? I love the bright colors.


    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    i'm not exactly sure what you are asking...i've been laying the blocks out side by side to figure out a layout. when i finally decide on the layout i will simply sew the blocks together, the usual way you sew blocks together.
    the fused part is the design fused onto the black 6 1/2" squares...i'm posting some blocks from a different project using same technique.
    i recommend drawing your own designs. but if you want to use that one it is in McCalls Quilting Jan/Feb 2010

  19. #69
    Super Member katesnanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,401
    Blog Entries
    15
    Stunning. You certainly caught the attention of a lot of people, me included.I have seen it done as paper piecing but this looks so much easier & quicker.
    Thank you for your tute I enjoyed it so much I've bookmarked it.

  20. #70
    Senior Member Jates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    409
    That is beautiful! I am going to try this! Thank you for sharing!

  21. #71
    Senior Member laurlync's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, Texas
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    I know you did not ask again, but I LOVE the diagonal.
    Me, too!

  22. #72
    Senior Member Jupiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    in my studio up to my chin in fabric
    Posts
    866
    Thank you very much for a great method!!! You rock....

    Jupiter

  23. #73
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    new york state
    Posts
    10,373
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thank You.
    I read the first post but i didnt really pay much attention until I saw your completed blocks. WOW. Went back and re read and paid attention. This looks like something we will all be trying.

  24. #74
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Schertz, Texas
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    ok, so i promised to show you how this is done. so, i will try to do this correctly so you get pics with the instructions. then a couple more layouts...
    first you need:
    (1) 61/2" square paper backed fusable (i used heat n bond lite)
    (1) 6 1/2" square design fabric (mine/hot pink)
    (2) 6 1/2" squares background fabric (mine/black)

    next, trace your pattern on the paper side of the paperback fusable.
    iron to wrong side of your design fabric
    cut out your design on the lines
    remove paper and arrange on your black squares...yup, you get (2) 6 1/2" squares for each (1) traced :)
    see how simple that was?
    this technique can be used for lots of different designs...have fun with it i sure have
    It is gorgeous. Where can I get a similar design? I must have missed the previous tute.

    Thanks, Jan

  25. #75
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,228
    I love it! Thank you for the tutorial.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.