Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread Basting My Quilt Sandwich for FMQ

I havent tried this method, but am sure going to give it a whirl. I have a carpenters star quilt (Christmas fabrics) that I am going to hand quilt and planned on using this method to baste. Great tute. Are you going to the quilt show in Phoenix at the end of this month?? I will be there and we are getting a meet and greet planned. Im from Mesa.
    Again, thanks for the wonderful tutorial you have shared.

Quote Originally Posted by anicra
    Beautiful quilt. Your tute is great. This is the only method I use since I saw the Sharon Schambers video on youtube.com about 2 years ago. I have severe knee problems and being able to sit at the table and baste is just wonderful.
    Love your quilt here. this is really beautiful. what is the name of your pattern. thank you.

Thank you for sharing your technique! And by the way, your quilt is beautiful!

I did watch the video on You Tube but your directions are better and I like seeing the bigger boards. Thank you!
    Ann from Montana

This is how I baste my quilts but do not have felt on the boards, great idea. I will have to get some felt. Thanks

I use this method too after watching the Sharon Schamber tute on Youtube which I'm sure was recommended by this board. I haven't covered my boards with flannel but probably will after seeingyour tute. I've just been taping the fabric down with painters tape. On smaller quilts I spray baste and haven't had any problems but on the last biggish one I basted with washable thread. OK but the thread breaks very easily so you need to be gentle and use short lengths. When FMQ I could just ignore it which I liked very much and it did just disappear on washing. So on balance I think I'll use my washable thread again.

I agree! The video seemed clear, but your instructions with pictures really spell it out. Thanks!

I have used this method for quite some time now and found I had less trouble if I wrapped the battinh on a piece of PVC just a little longer than the fabric. It sits neatly between the front and backing. Thanks for the reminder. I also dont cover my boards, so I may give this a try. :^)

Nzm
    Blog Entries
    seems like a very efficient method - will have to give it a try.. thanks for the detailed tutorial

can you gives us a tutorial on your method 1amquilter?

very good method. I will give it a try next time. Sure beats smoothing, bending, spraying, smoothing, bending, re-adjusting, bending....you get the idea!

I just tried this method for the first time last week. I do not have flannel on my MDF, but will be adding it. This method saves your knees AND it keeps my 3 labs from trying to lay in the middle of my quilt!

Thanx for the complete instructions. I often spray baste, but like you don't like to do it on larger quilts. This will be great, and after looking these pics over, I'm sure my feeble little mind can figure it out. YAY a new way to go

Blog Entries
    I love this method for basting. I will now cover my boards with flannel. Just a question for you. How long are your boards for the larger quilt?

Dee
    I baste and FMQ on a regular sew machine. Basting is the key.

Wow, this is so much better than any method I have tried, and it keeps me off the floor. I especially like the part about eating cheesecake.

I am finishing my first one using Sharon's tutorial and am very impressed. Thanks for sharing.

Banned
    When I've hand-basted my quilts for FMQ, I've always had trouble with my hopping foot getting tangled in the threads. On the other hand, pin-basting is a pain also and to me spray-basting isn't that great either because I can't easily move the top and batting and backing a little to re-line up the layers if I need to while quilting.

Any alternatives?

Dana

Thank you so much for all the effort and time you spent showing us this method. I have seen the video on YouTube but she uses a very small sample. This is up close and personal and I will book mark it.

I wonder if you could use warm and natural quilt batting to cover the boards. I always have left overs. Mabey will try it.

Great tutorial - your explanation with the pictures made it seem as if we were there with you. Many thanks!!

What more can we say but WOW!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Banned
    lovely quilt, this is so like that of
    www. sharonschamber.com---------SO easy.

Nzm
    Blog Entries
    I was not able to find the basting sandwich on Sharon's website.. what is the correct address so I can view it.. thanks

This is Sharon Schaumber's method as well, and there is video tutorial on her website, or maybe on Youtube. Your photos are nice and clear and your quilt is lovely!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast