Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you use a pressure cooker? >
  • Do you use a pressure cooker?

• Do you use a pressure cooker?

Old 03-14-2011, 09:06 AM

I use one a lot, especially for a chuck roast. The meat is so tender and in such a short amount of time compared to cooking in the oven. When you look for one, just be sure the lid has brackets on it. I got mine at a home show years ago and have ordered parts so they're still in business. PM if you want the name of it. It's very heavy and has a bracket on each side to hold on the lid.
    Old 03-14-2011, 09:22 AM

I use mine quite often. It's really good to get tough meat fork tender. Most come with a cook book and there are recipes on line. They can explode if the heat is left to high. Now most of them have a metal steam weight that jiggles when it gets up to pressure. So you can hear if it gets too hot. (It will jiggles constantly) where it is suppose to jiggle for a few seconds then stop then start again. If you read your instructions on how your specific brand works, you will be fine.
    Old 03-14-2011, 09:30 AM

I am using my mother's and I LOVE it! Quick and just so tender. Have done pot toast, chicken&rice, spareribs, oh heck...im getting hungry now listing these foods! Mine is at least 25 yrs old.
    Old 03-14-2011, 10:09 AM

I have several & have used them for years. Makes the most delicious meatballs! And chicken cooked in one just falls off the bone! Easy to use, follow directions & you'll be fine. LOVE mine! So much, that it took years for friends to talk me into a slow cooker LOL.
    Old 03-14-2011, 11:15 AM

Have used mine for more years than I care to remember. Makes the best stuffed cabbage and beef stew.
    Old 03-14-2011, 11:26 AM

I have one and I just love it! I bought it at the L.A County fair a couple of years ago. I cook turkey legs, soups, chicken,pork roasts etc. I used to be afraid of them too but this one is a snap to use and it cleans so easy!
    Old 03-14-2011, 12:17 PM

I have two pressure cookers one presto that I use for meals and a large one for canning as I can most of our food as we raise a big garden I also can meat, fish and chicken could not get along without them
    Old 03-14-2011, 12:36 PM

Geez, were you at my house...I had one and it blew up. I had a whole dinner party for St. Patrick's Day here at the house, blew it up and ended up totally burned up from the splatter...it was awful. Please be really really careful if you get one. I use a slow cooker instead!
    Old 03-14-2011, 12:45 PM

Mom used one for years. Whereas I have to get out the instruction manual when I use mine (about once every 2 or 3 yrs!) I use the pressure canner during harvest time (again.. out comes the manual - all that hissing and spitting makes me nervous!) I saw an electric one on a cooking program a few months ago - now THAT is something more my style!
    Old 03-14-2011, 01:14 PM

I have Mom's old Presto and use it all the time. I was looking for a pressure canner and it said on the box that it cannot be used on ceramic stovetops. Anyone know of a pressure canner that works on ceramic stovetops? Otherwise, I'm getting a little one burner hot plate or something and will can outside!