Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Giving instructiion/directions - - - >

Giving instructiion/directions - - -

Giving instructiion/directions - - -

Old 09-19-2015, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

Default Giving instructiion/directions - - -

There are so many opportunities for slippage between what someone intends/wants and what someone understands/does.

I once told my son who was doing some piecing for the first time to alternate the way the seams went so they would nest.

I had done a demo - but did not leave a sample.

We both think we are intelligent articulate people - but slippages can and do occur.

So I understand that misunderstandings happen.

What suggestions do you have for minimizing this type of thing?

(I have noticed that there is a lot of "verifying" before surgery is done now!)
Attached Thumbnails seams.jpg  

Last edited by bearisgray; 09-19-2015 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:04 AM

It is difficult to clearly articulate piecing/quilting instructions. I found that out in trying to write out directions on how to make a quilt from requests here on this Board! I just try to take it step by step, visualizing it as I go. Then re-read it over several times until I think it is clear. I think there is a developed skill to being able to write "how to" instructions for lots of things!
Old 09-19-2015, 01:16 PM

Some times when I press my seams they look like your son's. Really enjoyed the giggle.

I'm the opposite I really don't like a lot of instructions because I would rather figure out it myself.
Old 09-19-2015, 02:06 PM

Mine look like that sometimes. I just press the dickens out of them. I don't have any suggestions to help. I think it is always going to be that way because we can't see what's in another's head. You ask if they understand and they say yes because they think they do.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:20 PM
Power Poster

I had a cousin who was very directionally challenged. He was given instructions for a destination. Was so funny the way his dad wrote them out. Each line was "your right side turn at this; then he'd draw a picture of the landmark. etc. He could tell you how far you had gone; if you had gone a mile or (?). The guy never had a wreck and used handsignals. Not fun riding with him in the winter time. He would say, "Just think how nice and warm it will be when you get there!!
Old 09-19-2015, 05:30 PM
Power Poster

I think I give much better driving directions than my DH.
He thinks his directions are much better than mine!

I tend to get misplaced easily - so if I have checked out my path on a map - and there are no unexpected detours - I usually manage to get where I want to go.

However - I do have a dreadful time with verbal destination directions. There seems to be something in my brain that just does not process them well.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
There are so many opportunities for slippage between what someone intends/wants and what someone understands/does.

I once told my son who was doing some piecing for the first time to alternate the way the seams went so they would nest.

I had done a demo - but did not leave a sample.

We both think we are intelligent articulate people - but slippages can and do occur.

So I understand that misunderstandings happen.

What suggestions do you have for minimizing this type of thing?

(I have noticed that there is a lot of "verifying" before surgery is done now!)

OH, seeing that drawing sent me into a laughing fit that made me cough my head off!
Old 09-20-2015, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

Ha, ha! well, he made it work. I've even done that when all sewn and then pressing again. it seems one or more seams will move on me!! we all see and hear things differently and need things explained in more than one way.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:26 AM

Love that story! I always have trouble with directions like "up" or "down". Did they mean "face up" or toward what you would think of as "north"? Plus, I have trouble with left and right.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
Ha, ha! well, he made it work. I've even done that when all sewn and then pressing again. it seems one or more seams will move on me!! we all see and hear things differently and need things explained in more than one way.
He undid them and resewed them. He did so much redoing on that quilt! But it is now bound and in use!

HIS idea to redo them.