Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • I caved and bought a serger ... >
  • I caved and bought a serger ...

• I caved and bought a serger ...

Old 02-08-2014, 02:42 PM
    DJ

Default I caved and bought a serger ...

I bought a new serger online. It was under $250, had great reviews, and I've been thinking about getting a new one for some time. Just couldn't resist any longer. It's a Brother Designio Series DZ1234. Hope I like it!

If anyone has any experience with one or wants to share great craft ideas for me to use it for, step right up!
    Old 02-08-2014, 02:44 PM

Good luck. I love mine but use it of mainly pillow cases. Craftsy has some really good classes on sergers.
    Old 02-08-2014, 02:52 PM

I don't own one but when they show them on the Home Shopping Network it almost makes me think I need one. lol I am sure you'll find plenty of uses for the one you bought! Enjoy.
    Old 02-08-2014, 03:02 PM

Nancy Zimmerman demos a number of projects with them on Sewing with Nancy. Her show on scarves made with serging made it look so fast!
    Old 02-08-2014, 03:21 PM

I really thought I needed one...find myself using it only to make pillow cases. But if you sew clothes and such you should get a lot of use from it.
    Old 02-08-2014, 03:53 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I own a nice one, but can't for the life of me thread it. So it sits. I use to take it to the LQS where I bought it and have the woman rethread the ones that came undone, but she insisted I learn to do it myself. I can't no matter how much I try. I won't go back in and ask for help again. She made it known she didn't want to keep doing it. She did it about 4 times and I'm too embarrassed to ask her for her help again. So it's of no use to me. I tried selling it on the Quilting Board even, because I'm not using it, but I guess I was either asking too much or no one wanted a used one.
    Old 02-08-2014, 05:13 PM

most sewing shops will thread them for a low cost.
    Originally Posted by jcrow
    I own a nice one, but can't for the life of me thread it. So it sits. I use to take it to the LQS where I bought it and have the woman rethread the ones that came undone, but she insisted I learn to do it myself. I can't no matter how much I try. I won't go back in and ask for help again. She made it known she didn't want to keep doing it. She did it about 4 times and I'm too embarrassed to ask her for her help again. So it's of no use to me. I tried selling it on the Quilting Board even, because I'm not using it, but I guess I was either asking too much or no one wanted a used one.
    Old 02-08-2014, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow
    I own a nice one, but can't for the life of me thread it. So it sits. I use to take it to the LQS where I bought it and have the woman rethread the ones that came undone, but she insisted I learn to do it myself. I can't no matter how much I try. I won't go back in and ask for help again.
    Same thing happened to me - she wanted me to take a hundred dollar class to learn how. Found a different machine shop that didn't even sell that brand that was more than happy to do it and give me tips. I sew carefully and try not to break the threads...
    Old 02-08-2014, 08:08 PM

I love my serger. Mine threads very easily. My first one was a nightmare , but this one is a lot more user friendly. And no, it's not one of those air threaders, would be nice.
    Old 02-08-2014, 08:24 PM

I met a person who whipped out quilts with a serger, don't know how she did it but she did