Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Appliqué scissors recommendations? >
  • Appliqué scissors recommendations?

• Appliqué scissors recommendations?

Old 07-11-2018, 06:01 PM

I also vote for the Floriani duckbill scissors
    Old 07-11-2018, 07:03 PM

I have the Gingher duckbill applique scissors. Gingher are more expensive, but I think they're worth it.
    Old 07-12-2018, 12:23 AM

The Kai “Patchwork” scissors are the bomb. They have a serrated edge, which is great for grabbing the fabric as you’re cutting curves. The smoothest curves I’ve ever cut. Lost one pair and replaced them immediately. I really like the 4” for smaller pieces, and the 6” for larger applique. Kai 3120 4 3/4 Inch Serrated Blade Patchwork Scissor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094429Z2..._a-WrBbTAXAQG9
    Old 07-12-2018, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K
    It depends on the type of applique. I like small thin ones for cutting out fused applique like the second pair shown here (green 4 inch).

For machine EMB applique I like these. They get into tight corners. I hold the fabric almost straight up and trim close.
    http://www.havelssewing.com/snip-eze...ors-33010.html

I don't like the duck bill ones for machine EMB as I don't get close enough.
    Wow, I don't think I saw a single negative review for these, and they seem to have all kinds of uses besides appliqué.
    Old 07-12-2018, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Grannies G
    Kari are the best I have come across not terribly expensive and come in several sizes. My preference are straight blade four inch I think they are the smallest, better than my Ginger’s also handle fusible appliqué well too. They cut a very clean line. A curved blade is available too although not my personal preference. Good luck
    Thanks. I think that's a typo of Kai? It's great to have a comparison of the two brands, very helpful!
    Old 07-12-2018, 02:58 AM

Thanks, I haven't heard of the Floriani brand, I will have to check them out!
    Old 07-12-2018, 03:00 AM
    KR

For cutting shapes for traditional applique, my choice is the finely serrated scissors by Karen Kay Buckley. I'm not a fan of curved scissors, but I have all 3 of her straight bladed ones and love them!
    Old 07-12-2018, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by rryder
    I've got a pair of Gingher's duckbilled ones and a pair of extremely sharp straight 4" Olfa appliqué scissors-- I love both of them and both get used for collage and appliqué.
    Rob
    Thanks, Rob, my shears are Gingher and I love them beyond what is reasonable for a pair of scissors. I tried some others but I always go back to those. I didn't even think of Olfa, but now I am.
    Old 07-12-2018, 03:15 AM

That Havel site has some like the curved ones and it seems to be a good brand. Your pictures are great, very clear, which is hard to do with close-ups. Thanks!
    Old 07-12-2018, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly
    I do a lot of machine embroidery applique, and just machine embroidery in general. I use squeezers, same thing as the Havels link shown above. I have straight blade and curved blade ones, different brands bought from different places. After using these just once I bought a pair to have at every machine in use in the house. If you have arthritis in your hands these are so much easier to use than scissors. For applique I use the curved blade, it allows me to get right up the threads without cutting through them.

Cari
    Thanks for the reply, I'm sold on the squeezers! I don't have arthritis currently, but I'm sure it's in my future if I live long enough so I might as well prepare for it now.