• Buying fabric - interesting

• Buying fabric - interesting

Old 08-16-2013, 06:39 PM
    Power Poster

Ah Ha!! thanks Jan!
    Old 08-17-2013, 05:23 AM

Default USPS box vs envelope

Originally Posted by BETTY62
    Well, I supose it's like the US Postal Service. Yesterday I went to mail a package in a big brown envelope I purchased at Walmart. The big brown envelope would cost me $9.60 to mail. The lady working the counter at the PO handed me one of their free priority envelopes and nicely told me if I placed the big brown envelope inside the free priority envelope and re-addressed the package I would save over $4.00. Now, how do you explain this works?

It has to do with efficiency, as it was explained to me:

The boxes are all standard size, so can be packed tightly to ship, making them more cost efficient for USPS than any other shapes, therefore you can be charged less to ship these than the "per ounce/per pound" rate.

Your envelope may be smaller than the box, however it is an odd size and probably slides when stacked, therefore is harder to ship, so you pay the customary rate to mail.
    Old 08-17-2013, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by BETTY62
    Well, I supose it's like the US Postal Service. Yesterday I went to mail a package in a big brown envelope I purchased at Walmart. The big brown envelope would cost me $9.60 to mail. The lady working the counter at the PO handed me one of their free priority envelopes and nicely told me if I placed the big brown envelope inside the free priority envelope and re-addressed the package I would save over $4.00. Now, how do you explain this works?
    Because the Priority Envelope was a Flat Rate envelope. It carries the Post Office brand, helps with advertising and they actually make money on it because most people ship less weight than postage paid. Always double check, depending on where you are shipping to, Flat Rate with the Postal Service can save you money. Not always so check.
    Old 08-17-2013, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by SWEETPEACHES
    Thank you Jan! I didn't know that. I still wonder why shipping is more if you order from fabric.com
    It is likely that fabric.com ships with the Postal Service and Amazon, I know, ships UPS as they have a contract with them. Also with the Prime accounts they either absorb the costs or it is built into the cost of the items.
    Old 08-17-2013, 07:11 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I buy Amazon Prime every year so shipping is free and I receive what I order in two days. Amazon sells everything related to quilting. Of course they sell sewing machines, but they sell everything fabric, thread, books, clips, rotary cutters, mats, just about everything and it's not just from Fabric.com. I shop there frequently. With Amazon Prime you get to watch most of their movies and TV shows for free, also.
    Old 08-17-2013, 10:18 AM

Shipping fees charged by the merchants don't necessarily reflect what the shipping carrier charges. Some merchants make a considerable chunk of money from the overage they collect on shipping fees. Also, marchants have to hire someone to pack the goods and get them ready for shipping and the shipping fee reflects that labor cost. froggyintexas
    Old 08-17-2013, 11:59 AM

Well, not exactly free because you pay for the membership, but a darn good deal. Pays for itself when you add up all you save in shipping cost and rentals during the year.
    Old 08-17-2013, 01:46 PM

Ah, the wonders of the market! <G> If you buy over a certain amount at Amazon.com, postage is free. Ditto for fabric.com. I keep telling myself I'm going to make a list of all the online shops and their minimums for free postage.
    Old 08-17-2013, 09:24 PM

When purchasing (non fabric) recently in a shop, I had to order in the exact item I needed. The shop explained that if they sent it to me (post) they would have to charge more than if I ordered it through their own mail order facility, because the latter had negotiated a cheaper bulk rate with the post office. This was not in the US but maybe your post office does the same with big clients?
    Old 08-18-2013, 02:52 AM
    Power Poster

Glad you were able to get your fabric.