Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Cannot use a thimble....argh! >
  • Cannot use a thimble....argh!

• Cannot use a thimble....argh!

Old 09-01-2010, 08:00 PM

While looking at one of the suggested sites, I saw what is called a 'hand held quilting thimble'. It is stainless steel and is held in the hand rather than go on a finger. I've never tried it, but it looked like an interesting possibility for those who cannot use any other kind.
    Old 09-01-2010, 08:01 PM

The site for the stainless steel hand held thimble is www.threadandmore.com. I forgot to add it to my previous comment.
    Old 09-01-2010, 08:11 PM

try using the thimblepad. it is a small leather dot the adheres to your finger. they sell them at hancocks, hobby lobby or joanns. they also come in a clear plastic. i use these when i cross stitch and i really like them.
    Originally Posted by freezeframe03
    I just cannot come to terms with using a thimble. I only have one end of my binding sewn and am already well on my way to a sore finger! Anyone else have this problem and what do you use to keep the needle eye from poking at you?
    Old 09-01-2010, 08:37 PM

I make my own thimbles using a piece of leather sewn up each side that fits my finger.after sewing it triple stitch I turn it in the right way and when it becomes too thin I just make another or I make half a dozen at one time , that way I don't have to make them every time I need a new one.
    Old 09-01-2010, 10:23 PM
    Banned

I have a cheap plastic one, so I don't use them, and no I have not bleed on a quilt yet, but I can see it happening. God bless.
    Old 09-02-2010, 12:49 AM

For handsewing binding, Thimbles & I do not get along so very well. Sooo a friend told me to try using a Straw Needle. It is a long thin needle. I ordered a couple of diff. sizes & they are wonderful for using on binding & applique. I no longer have sore fingers! WooHoo.

For handquilting I use the Thimble Ladies thimble and love it. I order those as well. I think from Clotilde.
    Old 09-02-2010, 02:30 AM

I too had trouble wearing thimbles. Then I read in an old quilting book to wear it when you do your everyday things until you forget you have it on. Once you forget about it then you move to sewing. I forgot about mine until a checker at the store asked me if I knew I had it on lol. Now I can't sew without it. I have many different ones including the kind for when I have nails. I did have to relearn how to hold the needle but sometimes I will wear several thimbles on different fingers. Hope this helps.
    Old 09-02-2010, 06:45 AM

I have long fingernails and I got a "tall" thimble. It works great and happens to be very pretty. Can't sew without it!
    Old 09-03-2010, 06:47 PM

I tried for a looooong time to get used to a thimble.....it finally worked. But, sometimes, I still catch myself using the finger without the thimble. Now, however, I really feel "naked" if I don't have my thimble on. :)