Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Did you get the CRAFTY gene in your family? >
  • Did you get the CRAFTY gene in your family?

• Did you get the CRAFTY gene in your family?

Old 02-25-2011, 12:55 PM

my mom was always a sewer made my clothes when little etc so i learned from her at a early age and have been sewing ever since
    Old 02-25-2011, 01:16 PM

I am pretty much the only one of 4 girls that does any sewing. One of my sisters does doll clothes for her granddaughter's dolls, but not very well. I scrapbook, quilt, make kids' clothes, specialty clothes such as flower girl dresses, cross stitch, embroider by hand and machine, needlepoint, crochet, knit, etc. None of my sisters are really as attached to crafts like I am.
    Old 02-25-2011, 01:16 PM

I am pretty much the only one of 4 girls that does any sewing. One of my sisters does doll clothes for her granddaughter's dolls, but not very well. I scrapbook, quilt, make kids' clothes, specialty clothes such as flower girl dresses, cross stitch, embroider by hand and machine, needlepoint, crochet, knit, etc. None of my sisters are really as attached to crafts like I am.
    Old 02-25-2011, 02:08 PM

I am the only one in my immediate family who crafts..my daughter is not interested but my sisters daughter is...so there is some carry over at least...my mother did not do any kind of crafts so maybe it skipped a generation in our family
    Old 02-25-2011, 02:34 PM

My sister and I both sewed and quilted like our Mom and grandmother. We also crocheted and I do cross stitch. My sister also drew pictures. My older brother was a master in woodworking and then became a stonemason doing some ablsolutely breathtaking work in marble and taught my youngest brother the stone work, my middle brother picked up the musical talent my mom had and could play any instument he touched.
    Old 02-25-2011, 03:12 PM

I don't know where I got the crafting gene. My mother was too busy I think. Her mother did crochet even though she was almost blind. I have always done something, cross-stitch, embroidery, crewel, stained glass, jewelry, tole painting, crafty tee shirts, etc. I seem to have at least two going at any one time.

My son also took home ec, but I think it was to be with the girls. He learned to cook but not sew. However he did macrame hanging baskets one year and sold them. They were quite elaborate and he made pretty good money since mom bought they supplies!
    Old 02-25-2011, 04:14 PM

My Grandmother quilted (beautifully), I have two sisters and I am the only one that quilts. I also paint pictures.
    Old 02-25-2011, 04:26 PM

My great-grandmother was widowed and took in sewing, which was done by hand. She hemmed dresses that could be 9 yards around the bottom! My grandmother was a good seamstress, again a good hand sewer, and had a treadle sewing machine. My mother and her sister were always sewing something, either out of necessity for their large families or a quilt for enjoyment. I can remember desiring to sew and began hand stitching doll clothes at age 8. My mother had my brother and me embroidering dish towels when I was 4 and he was 6! I do believe it's a gene. We adopted our daughter and she is musical with no interest in sewing. We all have a talent, and it's important to use that talent, whatever it is!
    Old 02-25-2011, 04:51 PM

My mom was crafty, I remember her making cakes, unfortunitly she was killed when I was younger so she never got a chance to teach me. Later in my life I was a single mom of 3 with no help from my exhusband so started making cakes to feed my kids(I didn't feed them cake, I sold them,,lol). I am still making wedding cakes and special occasion cakes and have tried many different crafts but nothing has stuck like quilting. I started about 6 years ago and than got a part time job at a Husqvarna Viking Sewing Gallery and learn alot. I love love love to sew! My youngest sister does crafts but no sewing.
    Old 02-25-2011, 04:52 PM

My hole family are very crafty.