Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Did you learn to sew in Home Ec? >
  • Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

• Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Old 08-31-2011, 02:21 AM

I learned from my mother but i did take home ec in H.S. & learned even more. Now I mainly jus do the quilting & a hemming of something when needed. Althrough the DH is always have me make something to cover a light on the boat, a new gun case etc. he thinks I'm a reguler seamstress.

I'm oing to tell him any different.
    Old 08-31-2011, 02:56 AM

Love the Betty Crocker Homemaker award stories. I still have the little silver charm they gave us in 1974 with my special treasures! I learned to sew from my dad. He did upholstery work. I had to rip everything out. Just started sewing again after 40 years!!
    Old 08-31-2011, 03:22 AM
    Ed

Did a little here and there, then just dug in.
    Old 08-31-2011, 04:12 AM

I learned 1st by my Mom and 4-H, when I got to home ec, I was so far advanced with sewing that the teacher let me make a dress with a fully lined spring coat to match. Made most of my clothes in High School, then most of my kids clothes. Love to sew, quilting is new to me. Hope to do more when I retire.
    Old 08-31-2011, 04:17 AM

Yes I learned in 7th grade home ec, made many of my dressy clothes throughout my school years . Have been quilting for about 20 years, cannot imagine life without quilting :o)
    Old 08-31-2011, 04:28 AM

I learned to sew before junior high school. In junior high home ec I learned about cheating -- girls would take their projects home and have mom finish them to get their A.
    Old 08-31-2011, 05:42 AM

yes, made a skirt & apron, great how you remember that from 50 years ago.
    Old 08-31-2011, 06:00 AM

Learned how to cook/sew from my mom way before HS....I thought a sewing machine was part of household appliances...did not realize that some people don't know how to sew/cook until I became a "bride"........I still know women who have a kitchen because it came with the house and a sewing machine is a foreign language. But, I am that way with a lot of computer stuff, IPODS, smart phones, etc....so we all have black holes.........But I am happy in my world........
    Old 08-31-2011, 07:11 AM

My mom and grandma taught me when I was 8-9. My other grandma taught me to embroider before that. I remember doing tea towels & pillow cases when I stayed with her, still have some of them. Took a sewing class at the YMCA when I was 12, and 1 year of Home Ec in 9th grade. From then on I made most of my clothes. I remember cutting a dress or top out and sewing it up in a day or two. Remember those pantsuits in the 70's ?? We weren't allowed to wear jeans to HS then. But mini dresses were OK (if they met the fingertip measure) I was tall, so it really helped to sew my own ! :roll: :)
    Old 08-31-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by crafty mutti
    Love the Betty Crocker Homemaker award stories. I still have the little silver charm they gave us in 1974 with my special treasures! I learned to sew from my dad. He did upholstery work. I had to rip everything out. Just started sewing again after 40 years!!
    I won the award the first year of the contest (1955) and the prize was a pin which was a wheat sheaf with a hanging engraved heart. My winning was such a shock and family joke to everyone that I never wore it. Years later as a care coordinator in a hospital that required my wearing dress clothes I wore that pin and received many compliments on it. I still have the Betty Crocker cook book that I won with the newspaper clipping about that my mom pasted inside the cover.