Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you square your blocks. >
  • Do you square your blocks.

• Do you square your blocks.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:24 PM
    Power Poster

when i was first learning, I didn't and made a whole top for my dgd, thinking that accurate measuring was enough.
    I learned a very big lesson on that one. I can't measure enough now.
    Old 12-04-2013, 03:46 PM

I always do. Works better if I do. I measure right from the first to make corrections to future blocks if needed. For example, if my first block is not correct, then I make adjustments to my seam line to correct the problem.
    Old 12-04-2013, 04:30 PM

I square up each section of the block as I'm piecing...so that when the sections of the block are put together it *should not* need to be trimmed.

If it doesn't measure up, I figure out where the sewing error occurred in putting the block together and FIX IT! Yes, I take it apart and restitch and end up with a square block!

If a block is not kept square throughout the construction of each block, what do you do if there's a 1/4" seam that has to to be there (like in star blocks)? Do you cut off the star tips on star blocks? Do the star tips float away from the seam?

Now if it's a 'free form' type of block (i.e. crumbs, crazy patch), I'll square up at the end of the block.

Nan - IN
    Old 12-04-2013, 05:03 PM

It depends. However I find that when i do I'm usually more pleased with the final result.
    Old 12-04-2013, 05:11 PM

Misseva: I have four fussy dots on the back of my side triangle. It doesn't slip at all, though it sounds like your doing well even with the problem.
    Old 12-04-2013, 05:43 PM

You bet....I would rather find a mistake right away rather than partway through my project.
    Old 12-04-2013, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
    I square up each section of the block as I'm piecing...so that when the sections of the block are put together it *should not* need to be trimmed.

If it doesn't measure up, I figure out where the sewing error occurred in putting the block together and FIX IT! Yes, I take it apart and restitch and end up with a square block!

If a block is not kept square throughout the construction of each block, what do you do if there's a 1/4" seam that has to to be there (like in star blocks)? Do you cut off the star tips on star blocks? Do the star tips float away from the seam?

Now if it's a 'free form' type of block (i.e. crumbs, crazy patch), I'll square up at the end of the block.

Nan - IN
    I'm making a snails trail quilt and have had some of this happen. It is why I started this thread thinking I may need to rethink my not squaring blocks habit. Over all it looks pretty good and I'll finish it. I'm still going to use the excuse that I'm fairly new at this.
    Old 12-04-2013, 07:34 PM

It depends on the pattern but for the most part I square up as I go along.
    Old 12-05-2013, 02:25 AM

Absolutely!
    Old 12-05-2013, 04:20 AM

I do. For many years I've been doing the HST by adding the 7/8" to the finished size, and then sewing that 'scant' 1/4" along both sides of the drawn diagonal line. But, the square always seemed to turn out sort of wonky, and then when set into the overall block, the blocks were always too small. So, now, I add a whole inch to the finished size of the square (so, for a 2" finished HST, I cut 3" squares) -- then I square up ALL 4 sides (I have this nifty little small square that's 2 1/2" - the size I make the most) and now my finished blocks are always Perfect! Which then, of course, makes the entire quilt perfect.