Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fabric cutting machines...? >
  • Fabric cutting machines...?

• Fabric cutting machines...?

Old 06-05-2013, 11:05 AM

I, too recommend Gripstrips! they are so nice and really work- better than any other method I've tried.
    Old 06-05-2013, 11:05 AM

Thanks to all of you! Looks like I may just refuse to receive the package and stick with my Shape Cutter, too!! A good way I've found to prevent slippage on other rulers is a dab of hot glue. Guess I could put some down the middle columns of the ruler, too! Mine ruler is cracked in the bottom of the 1" slot, but with a Fab Dep coupon ...? Or just add more tape!

Teresa, I live 14 miles north of Vancouver so make trips to Fabric Depot a couple of times a year!
    Old 06-05-2013, 11:07 AM

Certainly will have to try them!

Originally Posted by jillnjo
    I, too recommend Gripstrips! they are so nice and really work- better than any other method I've tried.
    Old 06-06-2013, 03:26 AM

I have an Accuquilt Go and love it. I found it on Craigslist and paid half of what it was worth. She had received it as a gift and well what ever. It was still in the box.

With it I got a rag square die 8 1/2 inch. I will NEVER use that after 25 years in the rag rug business I never want to see another rag anything. I would love to trade that die for something I don't have.

Also.......on Craigslist in South Bend Indiana there was a Bernina 730 embroidery machine for $780.00. That is a total steal, but when I offered him $750 he said he was in FLORIDA and the shipping would be free. I smelled something funny and backed out. Is there someone in Florida who is missing a Bernina 730 embroidery???? They are 2400-3500 on Ebay. He never said it worked, only that it had 2 hours on the bed. I dropped it but am curious.

Marcia
    Old 06-06-2013, 04:33 AM
    Power Poster

The Go Baby would be the best option for you. There are dies up to 3 1/2" wide strips. I see the Go on sale many times for $70. There are several discount sites to order the strip dies. The Go Baby is about the cost of two jelly rolls so it's a great bargain.
    Old 06-06-2013, 05:15 AM

Several people have mentioned the Fiskars cutter; unless they've done some miraculous improvement, it's pretty useless. My hubby thought I need one; it's stashed away because it's a pain! I had visions of cutting several thicknesses at once---not happening with any accuracy.
    Old 06-06-2013, 06:07 AM

I have the regular Accuquilt cutter and love it. Keep in mind that not all dies work with the Baby.
    This is where I purchased mine from:

http://store.quilting-warehouse.com/...accuquilt.html

I can sit in the living room and put the cutter on the coffee table and cut for hours without my hands giving out.

Originally Posted by Prism99
    Oh, no! The Simplicity cutter has gotten terrible reviews here. It is okay if you need strips for hooking rugs, for example, but it does not have enough accuracy for quilting.

You might want to look at the Accuquilt Go Baby! die cutter. Many of us have the Go! version, some lucky quilters can afford the space and $$$ for a studio version; the Baby is for those on a budget. You would need the Go! Baby cutter plus the dies that are in the widths you want. Here is a link to the Go! Baby cutter on the Accuquilt site:
    http://www.accuquilt.com/fabric-cutt...rter-sets.html

Be aware that what you want is often on sale for less at the website, at JoAnn's, on eBay, and other sources as well. It is worthwhile to shop around before purchasing.
    Old 06-06-2013, 07:44 AM

I got the sizzlex (spelling?) with just the strips. I has been great.
    Old 06-06-2013, 08:34 AM

I too have trouble with my hands and wrists and arms, etc. I tried the Accuquilt at the LQS and found that it hurt more to try to crank the fabric through than it does to cut with a rotary cutter (I use Martelli).

So I would advise you to try the Accuquilt somewhere before expending any money or saving needlessly! It's not for everyone.
    Old 06-06-2013, 02:14 PM

Check the Yahoo group, SewItsForSale, as well. I have seen the GoBaby on occasion, but sewmary may be right to see if you can try it. I have a Studio which is the biggest one, but the GoBaby works well.