Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fringe On a Quilt? >
  • Fringe On a Quilt?

• Fringe On a Quilt?

Old 04-23-2014, 08:46 AM

Default Fringe On a Quilt?

OK,it's a kinda whacky idea, but I'd like to put short fringe around the edge of a quilt. I'm not sure how to go about it. Has anyone else ever done this?

~ Cindy
    Old 04-23-2014, 08:50 AM
    Power Poster

You would need to trap the edge of the fringe in the edge of the quilt. One way to do it would be to birth the quilt with the fringe sewn into the seam around the edge. You could then tie or quilt the quilt.
    Look up 'how to make a throw pillow with fringe' on google. There are lots of written and video instructions.
    Old 04-23-2014, 08:56 AM

I don't know why you couldn't use fringe. I think it would be cute.
    Old 04-23-2014, 08:58 AM

That's a good idea. I hadn't thought of "birthing" the quilt. I was thinking of making a binding, cutting it in half the long ways, then sandwiching and sewing the fringe between it, then sewing the binding/fringe piece on to the quilt. It might be a little bulky my way.

~ Cindy
    Old 04-23-2014, 11:56 AM
    Power Poster

I've found that anytime someone asks "has anyone else ever done this" - they have! What kind of fringe are you talking about? The part that rags on rag quilts is referred to as fringe, but I don't think that's what you mean. Lots of quilts using fleece are fringed just by snipping the fleece. Or do you want to use commercial fringe, or make your own? The answer to how to do it probably depends on what you start with and what look you're going for.
    Old 04-23-2014, 12:48 PM

there are some gorgeous fringes in the trims department of fabric stores.
    The problem comes from "is it preshrunk?" Most commercial fringe isn't so if you are working on a bed quilt and you get around to washing it the quilt becomes a muffin top.

I've seen acrylic yarn fringe on a twin quilt, very pretty, but yarn can get kind of bally like a sweater
    Try a sample and do before and after photos then we will all know everything there is to know!
    Old 04-24-2014, 05:59 AM

I added "suede" fringe on a quilt using Roy Rogers fabric. It really set it off. I used the "birthing" method.
    Old 04-24-2014, 06:03 AM

I just did something like this, although in my case it didn't turn out quite as expected...

I used 2.5" flannel and folded it in half, putting the raw edges between the layers of top and backing/batting. I stitched around and used the birthing method (sewing together that last little turning hole is challenging but possible). I then trimmed little snips into the flange, making it fringed. The only problem in my case was that I was going for a raggedy look with the fringe curling up after washing, but then realized that I had little loops – I should had put the folded edge into the seam, not the raw edges. Now I would have to cut all the loops to make it raggedy, so I'm thinking of leaving the little loops.

I will try to post a picture later. I say go for it!
    Old 04-24-2014, 06:12 AM

Assuming shrinkage resistance, what I would do is:

Cut a binding designed to be really, really thin. Sandwich quilt, fringe facing inward toward the quilt and right side down, binding together. Sew. Then fold the binding around the quilt so there is hardly any binding showing on the front and hand or machine stitch down. The fringe should be couched between the quilt and the thin binding and hang properly
    Old 04-24-2014, 06:16 AM
    dd

I made a western horse quilt for a friend. I had some suede type fabric I had used for something else and one edge was fringed. I cut that off and used it in one end of the quilt. It's been a long time but I think I birthed it but then sewed the fringe down to the quilt about 1/4" away so it wasn't so much in the face when you covered with it. Her kids just loved the fringes.