Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Gifted with handmade quilting frame >
  • Gifted with handmade quilting frame

• Gifted with handmade quilting frame

Old 02-18-2015, 09:43 AM
    Power Poster

I built one like Jan's example but I found that a LQS classroom worked better for me with pinning quilts than this frame ever did. Keep it stored safely and one day you might want to try your hand at doing hand quilting.
    Old 02-19-2015, 05:25 AM

Mamaduck: I can describe how mine works. First you need to attach strips of fabric to the long sides. Some sturdy fabric like canvas. You can either staple it or make a sleeve that can slips on the bars. Attach the back to the strips on both sides using safety pins or a long running stitch. Then just roll the back on one of the bars until the back is taught. Place the batting on the back putting the excess even on all sides including the side attached to the bar. Using either spray adhesive or glue attach adhere. As you get one section adhered wind the unloaded bar to the next section. Do the same with the top. Remove and quilt. Hope this helps.
    Old 11-01-2017, 10:31 AM

Default handmade frame

[QUOTE=Jan in VA;6060003]As soon as you decide to get rid of it, you will want it for handquilting -- ask me how I know that!

I now use a hoop for my personal quilts, but I keep a vintage floor frame like this one for a "community learning quilt" that goes to shows, fund-raising events, art-in-the-park venues, and to teach school kids about the art of quilting during their "Heritage Week." Everyone from 4 to 94 years old has quilted on this one over the 25 years I've done this. Lots of stitches put in, many taken out and the blocks re-quilted by others.
    Just hang onto it. I don't care for them for basting; a table surface and clamps is better in my opinion.

Jan in VA[/QUOTE

How can I get the pattern for your handmade quilting frame