Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Her she is!! My 1954 Featherweight! >
  • Her she is!! My 1954 Featherweight!

• Her she is!! My 1954 Featherweight!

Old 04-07-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Pat-w
    Here is the link to check for date born of your FW. You'll find the serial # on the bottom of your machine (starts with 2 letters). Go to the website, lookup the # and you'll find the date born. http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_2letter.html

Happy Sewing
    Pat, my machine is a 1948!
    Old 04-07-2011, 05:32 PM

Cool.....I just discover that I have my mother-in-laws Feather Weight. It's DOB is 1941. I also have the card table that has a drop-down for the machine to set into. So I'm very excited also. Need to take photos and post them. You should post yours also. I'd like to see it.

Enjoy!!!
    Old 04-07-2011, 05:43 PM

Cool.....I just discover that I have my mother-in-laws Feather Weight. It's DOB is 1941. I also have the card table that has a drop-down for the machine to set into. So I'm very excited also. Need to take photos and post them. You should post yours also. I'd like to see it.

Enjoy!!!
    need to clean it first... it has been collecting dust (also in it's wood cabinet that has a drop down) for nearly 20 years. It's embarrassing how many cobwebs are in there. I'll clean it this weekend and post!
    Old 04-07-2011, 06:04 PM

I have to clean mine too. Maybe it'll get done this weekend. Mine is in it's black case. Also want to have it checked over before using it.

Originally Posted by coachmatthewsvhs

Enjoy!!!
    need to clean it first... it has been collecting dust (also in it's wood cabinet that has a drop down) for nearly 20 years. It's embarrassing how many cobwebs are in there. I'll clean it this weekend and post!
    Old 04-07-2011, 06:11 PM

She looks good!
    Old 04-07-2011, 06:31 PM

I've been finishing wood for over 35 years and if that odor is truly in the wood shellac is the only answer. It must be sealed into the wood. If it is some other cause then you will know.
    Old 04-08-2011, 09:20 AM

[quote=...The case is not in the best shape in the world, but it works just fine. However, there is a terrible odor in the case and on the machine. Hubby says it's oil. Does anyone have ideas on how to get rid of the smell? I can see where these adorable little machines are so addictive.
    My husband likes Mini-Me. .."

Get thee immediately a copy of David McCallum's book FEATHERWEIGHTS AND I. In it you will find answers to just about EVERYTHING! Set a trouble light (hubby should know what that is if you don't) on an insulated hot pad in the box on its back with lid open and "cook" the mildew until the odor is gone...sometimes overnight, sometimes a few days. Unless a skunk died in the box, this will banish the smell.
    :-D
    Old 04-09-2011, 09:18 AM

I like Debby Jr., that is more personal to you and the near birthdate of you both and it is your "little girl"
    Old 04-10-2011, 11:56 AM

Location: Moved from New Orleans to Port Neches, TX June 2014

She is a cutie pie!! Congrats!
    Old 04-11-2011, 11:31 AM

Try putting cotton balls dipped in Vanilla extract into the case and leave them for a few days, all alone (no machine with them). It works great for auto that have children smells left over from
    trips that were, shall we say, not so pleasant to smell when still on the road.