Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How to know it's good fabric! >
  • How to know it's good fabric!

• How to know it's good fabric!

Old 06-16-2010, 04:31 PM

Hello from Chicago! Welcome to the group! As suggested earlier I would practice on good but less expensive fabrics to develop your techniques and move on to more expensive fabrics later. I remember when I was first using the rotary cutter and I couldn't hold the cut to the ruler-you don't want to do that with $12+/yd! Or even on a difficult block.
    As with the better fabrics, you do get a feel for them. Just like sheets quilt fabrics are made in a variety of thead counts, experience looking at them and feeling them helps tyou to tell the difference.
    Old 06-16-2010, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Snoozle
    Welcome aboard. I'm new here too.
    Having worked in 2 quilt shops for over 20+ years in Pa. then Iowa I know that only a "real" quilt shop sells quality fabric. Some manufacturers you love and trust and others...not so much! The same applies to quilt shops! (Joann's, Hobby Lobby and Walmart are NOT quilt shops.)Manufactures produce fabric specifically for "quilt shops" and "not to be sold at chain stores".
    I prewash and dry all of my fabrics. Good fabric does not fray and tangle excessively when it comes out of the washer.Cheap greige goods come out in a wadded ball of threads. Bare in mind that manufacturers use different quality greige goods for different "fabric lines" so while you may not like one line another may be just what your looking for.
    That is very interesting. I knew the quality at the other stores was not as good but I did not realize that only the quilt stores could get the quality fabric. Thanks for the info.
    Old 06-16-2010, 06:17 PM

Your cat picture is funny! I can't believe he/she sat still for that. So cute.
    Old 06-16-2010, 06:51 PM

I buy most of my fabric from Joanns, and really have no complaints. Recently I went to a LQS and splurged. I started sewing on that fabric over the weekend and I can honestly say I had forgotten how lovely really good fabric feels. It feels like the difference between 200 thread count sheets and 1000 thread count Egyptian Cotton. It just makes you want to touch it...
    Old 06-16-2010, 07:07 PM

I noticed if its crunchy and stiff, or papery feeling it was on the bargain rack. The good stuff you get at the quilt shops instead of Walmart or other cheaper places, is soft, a little glossy and almost feels like its got silk in it, but it says 100% cotton. I dumped all the crunchy stuff at a yard sale that I bought before I knew better. All my work has to be with the good stuff. :) Fabric.com has good fabric at a decent price too.
    Old 06-16-2010, 07:30 PM

Welcome, from another cat and quilt fan. (fanatic? maybe!)
    Old 06-16-2010, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
    Welcome from SW Iowa. I feel the fabric. Is it thin. No way. Is it beautiful. Go for it. Find what you like and go with that.
    I always scrunch it to see how much the wrinkles & creases happen. It seems to me that those things seem to roll out of the better fabrics. Even in my old stash, before I knew better, if I scrunch it & sharp wrinkles stay, I get rid of it.
    Old 06-16-2010, 11:53 PM

Very good point. Same as the papery feeling I was talking about. Like starchy. The expensive good stuff is silkier.
    Old 06-17-2010, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Snoozle
    Welcome aboard. I'm new here too.
    Having worked in 2 quilt shops for over 20+ years in Pa. then Iowa I know that only a "real" quilt shop sells quality fabric. Some manufacturers you love and trust and others...not so much! The same applies to quilt shops! (Joann's, Hobby Lobby and Walmart are NOT quilt shops.)Manufactures produce fabric specifically for "quilt shops" and "not to be sold at chain stores".
    I prewash and dry all of my fabrics. Good fabric does not fray and tangle excessively when it comes out of the washer.Cheap greige goods come out in a wadded ball of threads. Bare in mind that manufacturers use different quality greige goods for different "fabric lines" so while you may not like one line another may be just what your looking for.
    Several years ago, Louise Cutting gave a super program on fabric. She lives in our town so it was easy to book her then. She had several fabrics of the same print or design and explained how fabric was dyed or stamped. We learned why fabric at WM can be $3 and the same (?) fabric at the LQS is $9. They are not the same for many reasons. She even had three fabrics that "looked" exactly alike but were entirely different in quality. She also explained why it is so important for fabric buyers to develop a "hand" or feel for the fabric. This comes from time and experience.

Did you know she is a fabulous artist and does all her own pattern drawings?
    Old 06-17-2010, 08:08 AM

Speaking of good fabric, I'd like to share with all of you that I just received my order of Batiks from Roberta (bob1414) & they are the most beaut. fabrics ever. I left the color choices up to her & she chose a beaut. assortment. If any of you have placed orders with her, you will be very happy with your fabrics.
    I do have one prob. though. Now I can't imagine cutting into them.
    Roberta was wonderful to work with, too.
    Here is a pix of mine.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-87304.jpe