Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How many are basically lone quilters or have close friends they quilt with? >
  • How many are basically lone quilters or have close friends they quilt with?

• How many are basically lone quilters or have close friends they quilt with?

Old 06-17-2009, 03:51 PM

I am a lone quilter well as much of a quilter as I can be . Is anyone near Salamanca New York
    Old 06-17-2009, 05:23 PM

I've never had anyone to sew with. I've never had time to join a quilt guild or any classes. It's been a long hard struggle learning things on my own. However, I can't believe how much I've learned since I joined the two quilting sites. I used to watch all the quilting shows but I rarely see any now. It can be lonely but with all the women I've met online, I don't feel alone any longer. :D :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 06-18-2009, 08:46 AM

I was a lone quilter for many years after my mum passed. My daughter didnt have any real interest in sewing much less quilting until she had her first child. Now we get together at least once a week to quilt, sew, or do home projects. It's great, I finally raised myself a quilter.
    All of my boys know how to sew, but none have shown an interest in quilting(yet). I am still hopeful, though.
    Old 06-18-2009, 08:47 AM

I have a group of 7 to quilt with. We get together 2 Saturdays a month to talk quilts, get opinions & work on our projects. Of course we go shopping whenever someone needs some fabric! This summer they surprised me buy organizing a quilt retreat. We're packing our sewing machines & driving to a little beach town 3 hours away. We rented a house that sleeps 12. We plan to stay in our pajamas & quilt all day :lol: Anything goes for a 4 day weekend. There will be lots of food & wine in the evenings! We got started by teaching each other to make flannel 4 patch lap quilts. After 3 years, we're making french braids & bargellos!!
    My female friends are such a wonderful support group, I recommend it to everyone :lol: Maxine
    Old 06-18-2009, 08:50 AM

I have a great group of ladies I quilt with . . . I belong to a once a month guild and have a once a month group of friends there. I quilt weekly with a group of four other ladies and a once a month group with three others (we get together from 1:00 p.m. until after dinner - wine is usually involved!). I would highly suggest a group - even if it's just two! As we say in my group(s): "If you have four quilters - you have four opinions!" It's "sometimes" good to get another opinion! Hahahahaha!
    Old 06-18-2009, 08:54 AM

Mostly I sew alone but once a year a group of friends get away for a weekend at church camp and sew, sew, sew. It is so much fun. Also about 4 times a year 4 of us get together and borrow the conference room at the library and we sew all day. Of course along with the sewing is much laughter and eating.
    Old 06-18-2009, 08:55 AM

I wish I had a quilting buddy! I used to quilt with my daughter but she moved away. It would be so fun to work with someone. I am so grateful to have my quilting friends here! Thanks for your friendship and ideas.
    Old 06-18-2009, 08:55 AM

Hello cajunquilter,

Where in South Louisiana are you Located? I live in Abita Springs , north of New Orleans.

Mary in Abita
    Old 06-18-2009, 08:57 AM

:cry: Hi! Sadly to say, I am a lonely quilter too! :roll:

If anyone lives near Elm City or Wilson N.C. and doesn't have anyone to quilt with, give me a holler. We surely will work something out. :D :D
    Old 06-18-2009, 09:00 AM

I enjoy going to quilt guild meetings and lessons, but the actual quilting I do at home. I am a care giver to my husband so that works great for both of us! I stay busy and creative and in earshot of him if he needs anything. Have been thinking about going to a "sit and sew" at one of the quilt shops around here, but never get around to doing that.
    Five of us formed a "Charm" group, a material exchange/dinner club, but no quilting goes on there, just fun and pattern sharing sometime.
    Judith