Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How much we spend on our hobby >
  • How much we spend on our hobby

• How much we spend on our hobby

Old 02-23-2011, 02:53 PM

But it all goes for good causes. You know "when mamma's not happy, nobody's hap.............".
    Old 02-23-2011, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bobbielinks
    But it all goes for good causes. You know "when mamma's not happy, nobody's hap.............".
    So very True :)
    Old 02-24-2011, 03:23 AM

I would be willing to bet that those numbers could be skewed any way the you want to twist 'em. But even using those numbers, sewer's end up with a product that is beautiful (sometimes), useful (most of the time) and satisfying to the soul...
    Old 02-24-2011, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
    I really find that hard to believe. I'm not sure what greens fees are now even on public courses, but when I was playing 20 years ago it was expensive. I also know how much golf clubs, golf ball, boats, fishing poles and reels, shotguns and rifles, cartridges, etc, etc, etc. for all the other hobbies our sons, husbands, SILs, GSs, all put into their hobbies. Then you add on the cabin and lodge fees, food, gasoline, special trailers, it goes on and on. I would have to see their figures in black and white. I bet a man wrote that article!
    I agree with you. My SIL used to spend THOUSANDS of dollars to go hunting out west and hire a guide, etc. Now he hunts on the 120 acre farm he bought up in the Poconos. I haven't spent that much in my lifetime on my sewing, including my many expensive sewing machines, software, etc. That article was some phony statistic invented by a MAN. And our "hobby" provides love and inner peace to everyone around us. I can't say that I find inner peace when I have a bunch of elk and deer staring at me with glass eyes from high on a wall.
    Old 02-24-2011, 03:44 AM

Just last night I said I was thinking of looking for a featherweight. My hubby responded that he was thinking of a few guns he would like. I said I would pay $25. He said his would be more than that...I don't think he has seen that magazine and I have just started my stash....hmmmm
    Old 02-24-2011, 04:12 AM

Well now that doesn't seem like a fair comparison. Quilting uses disposable materials. We need to continuously buy new material to complete our quilts. I would say compare it to someone like my husband who does wood working. That would be more appropriate as he needs to buy more wood to complete each project. Seems to me these statistics were looking to cause a stir.
    Old 02-24-2011, 04:16 AM

Quilting is my only hobby, it may seem like it costs a lot, but my Hubby has a horse and everything that goes along with it, guns,ammo, guitars, music books, tools, fishing rods and reels, lures(which he has lost a few the first time out). He never says anything about how much anything related to quilting cost,and he does go with me sometimes to the LQS,so he knows, he just wants me to feel happy and satisfied, gotta LOVE him he's a keeper.
    Old 02-24-2011, 04:31 AM

When my then 12 year old daughter started quilting, I mentioned that it was getting a little expensive. Her reply "well it's cheaper than drugs!" She is now 32 and is an accomplished quilter!! As someone said to me in a Quilt Shop where she was selecting fabric for a project "she will have a lifelong hobby". She now volunteers teaching young girls the craft. The projects are simple, but many of then get "hooked"!
    Old 02-24-2011, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
    I really find that hard to believe. I'm not sure what greens fees are now even on public courses, but when I was playing 20 years ago it was expensive. I also know how much golf clubs, golf ball, boats, fishing poles and reels, shotguns and rifles, cartridges, etc, etc, etc. for all the other hobbies our sons, husbands, SILs, GSs, all put into their hobbies. Then you add on the cabin and lodge fees, food, gasoline, special trailers, it goes on and on. I would have to see their figures in black and white. I bet a man wrote that article!
    You just know it!!!
    Old 02-24-2011, 05:05 AM

How many golf balls are donated to a charity? How many bullets are given to a sick friend? Let's face it, we may spend more but a lot of it is for gifts, friends, charities. And the ones we keep are to keep us warm. When was the last time your DH cuddled up on a cold night with his 9 iron or his shotgun?