Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm the proud owner of a FABRIC and craft SHOP. >

I'm the proud owner of a FABRIC and craft SHOP.

I'm the proud owner of a FABRIC and craft SHOP.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:34 PM

Ok, before you go and swallow your coffee down the wrong pipe over the subject, my DH bought out his aunt's fabric/crafts/gift shop for me. :D
yes, he is so great! There isn't like two tons of fabric, just like one!. lol!
I'm really thinking about opening up shop here at my house in the downstairs (I gotta quit calling it the basement bc it is living space, not what ppl usually think of a basement as being). I was thinking about opening an eBay store. I sell on eBay sometimes, but I was thinking about opening the store so I'd have the web link to my store page. I want to be open a day or two a week or by appointment at home just starting out. I'm usually home, but I don't want ppl coming all the way out here if I'm not for some reason. I'm about 8 miles out from a main road that would be a good business location. Also, we live on a farm. And my MIL and her mother have sheep and animals. When they are in a certain lot, I have to open TWO gates to get in or out of my driveway.
We are thinking about another option for that if my SIl and BIL move out our way and start using the lower drive. We just have to build a driveway down to the other road. Maybe that is an option whether or not they move, I don't know. I really don't know what shape the road is in. ANYWAY! I could be open on a certain days and have MIL to keep the sheep in a different lot on those days. Mostly, I think I would do well with mail orders and eBay.
Well, who does this? Anyone have this experience? GOt any advice for me?
I've got the stuff in my downstairs....it really wouldn't take much to get up and running. If I do well, I could expand and get more fabric. If I sell enough I can have fresh, new, different fabrics available all the time, as well as everything else to do with sewing and quilting and ....ahhhh....
Old 04-19-2007, 04:20 PM

Congratulations! They say challenging yourself keeps you young. And what a way to go shopping! Need a new piece, just run downstairs and pick it out! Like working in a candy store. Good luck with it all.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:14 PM

Congratulation what a great hubby. I know you'll do well no mater what you deside. Who knows maybe you'll be our soultion to the WM problem. We can buy from you on line. Do board members get a discount lol
Old 04-19-2007, 05:36 PM

You don't happen to have any fabric with hands or handprints or feet or bones on it, do you? I'm looking for a central fabric for a wall hanging for my physical therapist.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:18 PM

I think that is great! I often wonder if I should call my stash a fabric store! It would be better organized then maybe. Ah well, I still enjoy the hunt. Do what feels comfortable and who knows where it will take you. One day you may be offering retreats.....with or without the sheep. Even offering to search and find is an option for your site.....wow!...The I Got It or I Can Get It Girl !!!. I will stop in for sure.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:03 PM

Sandra: Oh you know it! If I do start up, I will be the I got it or can get it girl! That's the only way to go!

isnthatodd: Nope. sorry. No bones, feet, hands. Not yet, anyway!

Funny thing about the sheep is I love fabric with sheep bc I still like them. I hate them at times, especially if they get loose and poop in the yard. I still like sheep prints. Probably only like the prints bc we have them. I love the punch needle embroidery and especially like designs with sheep. Kinda of contradicts itself, huh!?!?

ceannastahr: You know what?!?! the WM solution...one reason I have really considered doing this is bc of WM! It's a solution for all of us. Yeah, I would have to give members a discount! lol! I'd have to do something nice for all the wonderful ppl I've met here. Everyone has been so wonderful. :D
Old 04-20-2007, 05:44 AM

GoGirl,

But make sure you sell, more then you quilt. LOL. You'd be busy with everybody here. Go ForIT.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:39 AM

If you'd like some advice on the ebay thing, let me know. I've been doing it for about 3 years with a store for a little over a year. I have been pretty successful so far.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:44 AM

Wow! How fun! I would just enjoy playing with that fabric for a bit.. going through it... sorting it... what fun! I am a major fabricholic!

If you open a store be sure to let us know! I buy on ebay regularly and would love to see what you have to offer!

Barb C.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:11 AM

Super Super you lucky lady . I am rooting for you