Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Lamp Question ??? >
  • Lamp Question ???

• Lamp Question ???

Old 07-24-2010, 12:43 PM
    Power Poster

It was the best investments I have made so far. Makes working with dark colors so much easier in the evenings. Enjoy!
    Old 07-24-2010, 12:48 PM

I found ottlight like lamps at Home Depot for much less $$ and they work great!
    Old 07-24-2010, 01:21 PM

I, too, use Ott lights at my machine and work table. But you said you want it for handwork while watching TV. I use a pendant lamp that hangs around my neck and aims the light directly on my work. Wouldn't use anything else for handwork.
    Old 07-24-2010, 01:41 PM

I do private duty nursing and was on a long term case and went to Target for a lamp to help my aging eyes. They a floor lamp that has 5 flexable arms for about $20.00. I liked it so much I bought 2 for the house. You can use the energy saving bulbs and not have them all on or use all five. They are really heavy and seem very well made. I have Natural Light bulbs in them.
    Old 07-24-2010, 01:52 PM

I went to Home Depot, needing a light for my cutting table, but needed to be natural light. They have floor lamps with a torchiere-like top with regular bulb, and also have a gooseneck smaller light attached to shine on your lap (or in my case, cutting board) that came with full-spectrum bulb. It also has a metallic shield on the inside so the light is amplified. It's been a terrific lamp and perfect for my sewing room. I plan to get another and use it next to my chair in the living room for my hand sewing.
    Old 07-24-2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Evelynquilts
    I find I am not able to see at night like I used to. Since I like to do handwork while watching TV ,I was thinking of buying a lamp..do any of you have one you like? I need lots of light...I was thinking a floor lamp, the one on my table does not give me the light I need...Thanks for your imput... :D
    I have an Ott lite that I can put on the table beside my easy chair when I want to do close work at night. As someone else has stated, you can sometimes get them at Joann's on sale. Believe me, they are worth the price. It's just like sewing in natural light. I too have vision problems at night, and there is not much more frustrating
    than that!
    Old 07-24-2010, 04:28 PM

I have two Ott floor lamps (they also make table versions). I keep one in my bedroom - I have been known to handsew and quilt in my bedroom. I also have one in my sewing room. This one is carried around downstairs if I am sewing on our closed in porch or in the living room. There are also faux Ott lamps which work equally as well without the high cost. I have been them at BigLots for about $30.00. Good luck.
    Old 07-24-2010, 04:47 PM
    Power Poster

When I was sitting and piecing or quilting I would use a floor lamp that had 4 seperate bulbs and covers that I could position where I wanted the light to be but I broke it about 2 weeks ago when I was painting a room. I really miss it.
    Old 07-24-2010, 04:53 PM

I LOVE the Bendable Bright light. Attach to your sewing machine and you can direct a bright beam onto you needle area.

I also like the Ott lights.
    Old 07-24-2010, 05:52 PM

I have 2 ottlites love them. The biggest one I have the week after christmas I was able to save 125.00 on it . Wished I'd grabbed two of them. My other one is a small one and when my mother stays over night she uses it to read by, and then just closes it to turn it off.