Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My sister...feeling out of sorts??? >
  • My sister...feeling out of sorts???

• My sister...feeling out of sorts???

Old 03-03-2011, 06:17 PM

I would make it only if I knew she would keep it and use it. If not, all the time and money you put in it would be wasted because she wouldn't use it. And you will end up with hurt feelings if you know she gave it away.
    Old 03-03-2011, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
    I think that you should go ahead and make it with an old fashioned, country type of block. Or perhaps you could back it with large squares of country colors so that it would be reversible??
    That would be a great idea!!! Reversible!!! Best of both worlds :)
    Old 03-03-2011, 06:21 PM

[quote=Ripped on Scotch]If you cut it up enough she'll never really know that its flowers. I wouldnt worry about it plus if She doens't like it you can always keep it for yourself.

I agree with Ripped on Scotch - if you cut it up the flowers won't be recognized. I did this for a quilt for my BIL and even I didn't recognize some of the designs (wich was good because I was using material I really didn't care for but was given to me and free is usable too).
    Old 03-03-2011, 06:25 PM

Eagerbeez....mayeb she is like me....I have a problem looking at fabric (I don't care for a lot of flowers either)...the fabric will look different once it is cut/pieced together and complete. My mom has made my family some wonderful quilts and I think every single one has a flower print in it...but looking at the finished product is totally different than look at a yard of fabric.

I say make the quilt...let her see the finished product...if she doesn't like it, keep it for yourself or give it to another family member you know would appreciate it. :)
    Old 03-03-2011, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by gaigai
    Originally Posted by EagarBeez
    You think I should still make it??
    NO!!! Since she hasn't liked any of your picks, tell her if she wants a quilt she should go buy the material she likes, and then you will make something from it. Give her a yardage amount to buy for the size she wants.

Why work on something that is going to be received in such a manner it will hurt your feelings and ruin your pleasure in the giving. If she is, as DH says, critical of everything you do, you need to pull up your big girl panties and just say NO. No one can take advantage of you without your permission.
    AMEN!
    Old 03-03-2011, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by DA Mayer
    Whatever you do, don't make it to please her boyfriend because if they break up, she will be reminded everytime of him. Better that they each have their own quilt.
    I agree...these quilts are too much a labor of love to have one rejected because of a temporary relationship. Make her a quilt, she will always be your sister, but make it just for her with your love. If you have time, make a funky one for the boyfriend. He'll love it no matter what since it was made just for him.
    Old 03-03-2011, 07:14 PM

Lovely You will be surprised how country it will look when you get it done I made one with the black and white prints you have here and a few others thinking it would never fit in my country home but it is beautiful there Both of you will be surprised
    Old 03-03-2011, 07:23 PM

I'd make it and if she doesn't like it, I'd give it to someone who did or keep it myself.
    Old 03-03-2011, 07:27 PM

Go ahead and make it for her. I find many people have a hard time visualizing the quilt just by looking at the fabrics. I love the fabric and I am sure she will love it too. Be sure and post a picture.
    Old 03-03-2011, 07:36 PM

I agree...don't make it to fit boyfriends taste...he may not be in the picture later...