Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • OBW cut out remorse >
  • OBW cut out remorse

• OBW cut out remorse

Old 03-25-2011, 06:37 AM

I had some fabric I though I would make a practice OBW. Design to small to work, but I got a great table runner and potholders out of it. LOL When I get through folding my "truck load of fabric" (up to 138 yards and still have lots to go!!) I will tackle it again. It will not defeat me!! Haveing fun with it. Hope you do too!!
    Old 03-25-2011, 07:03 AM

Sounds like you are a captain on the quilting police force.
    Old 03-25-2011, 07:19 AM

I have some gorgeous Asian fabric that I think might make a great OBW. It is 24" repeat. However, do I need 4 yards? Of course I only have 3 yards.
    Old 03-25-2011, 07:32 AM

The blocks are so pretty. I bet you will be happy with the quilt when it is together.
    Old 03-25-2011, 07:34 AM
    lue

After the negative reactions to jaciqltznok's comment, I re-read them and thought she was saying she didn't like the quilt PATTERNS, not that she didn't like the hexagons that sewingsuz was making. Ah... the potential to be misunderstood using the printed media.

Sewingsuz, you can't really judge a One Block Wonder until you've made LOTS of hexagons and begin to see the similarities. I've seen WONDERFUL OBWs and the kalaidescope effect unfolding in front of your very eyes as you proceed is like a mystery unfolding. Keep going! I think you'll be THRILLED with it. I have one on my design wall right now that I'm waiting for my expert friend to come show me how to put it together (I don't like ripping seams out). Keep going!!
    Old 03-25-2011, 07:48 AM

The instructor in our class recommends 6 yds.
    Old 03-25-2011, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
    Has anyone else cut out an OBW and got 96 hexagons to put together and wonder why you did this. My daughter whom never has quilted cut it out Sunday and then left after visiting with me and the Hexagons?????? I figured I would put seven together maybe 4 days a week. I have 9 on design wall . OH my, what have I done. Suzanne
    Um, send them to me! Sorry, being greedy as I have already spent my $171!
    Old 03-25-2011, 08:27 AM

I hope we can find a way to discuss differences without getting "sharp" with each other.

Like Jacquie, I generally dislike most results of the OBW/stack-and-whack. I love the THEORY behind it, but most of the results I've seen are way too busy for my eyes.

But I also see that alot of people really like this approach, so I'm trying to be curious: what is it people like about it, and what characteristics attract me more than others?

Someone recently posted an OBW that was done in black, white, grey and red. The fabric had more "negative space" in it-- i.e., background between elements (vs a mass of design elements crowded all together). There was also contrast. It also had a swirly black line connecting elements, and all these characteristics, I thought, made for a great result, not only in individual hexagons, but when the hexagons were pieced together.

I have also liked when the hexagons have been separated with other shapes-- stripes, triangles people have mentioned, or solid hexagons.

So, I'm keeping my eye out for a fabric with the above conditions, and hoping that I find one I can test/play with.

It seems like fabric selection is really key. But I don't see a lot of discussion about that-- here or in instructions.

If I were faced with the hexagons that sewingsuz is faced with, my remorse would be focused on lack of contrast. With the exception of the upper-right hexagon, all of the others are dark or deeply hued. The eye needs a break.

I am guessing, however, from what I've seen so far of others' OBW work is that more variation will be had; just keep going. It sounds like one lesson from OBW creation is: don't make a snap judgment based on nine hexagons.

Keep moving forward, Suz....

-- Jillaine
    Old 03-25-2011, 09:15 AM

The hexagons are so very beautiful.
    Old 03-25-2011, 09:20 AM

Make them into some small lap size quilts and donate them to a local nursing home or send them to project Linus. They will be appreciated and loved by either of those. You will be making someone's life brighter by doing that..
    Happy Stitchin' Linda B. on the snowy Cal-Ore border