Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Oliso iron dead, what to do? >
  • Oliso iron dead, what to do?

• Oliso iron dead, what to do?

Old 06-24-2018, 07:57 AM

I also thought long and hard about an Oliso, but there were just too many bad reviews going back years. I bought a cheap Shark at Walmart and it lasted about 6 months before something went wrong in the cord. It got so hot I couln't touch it. I went back to Walmart and they had only Shark irons on the shelf. So I bought it, it was a more expensive model than the last, but then went shopping for a "decent" iron. I found a Rowenta just like one I had used at a retreat at Amazon for a good price, so I bought it. Now I use the Shark exclusively with water for steam and it has an auto shut-off. The Rowenta has never had water in it, and it never shuts off. Then because I wanted a little one for another place I sew, I bought a Panasonic cordless that I saw on Man Sewing. I love all of them, they're all going strong after a couple of years, and they all have different uses.
    Old 06-24-2018, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B
    as far as liking the "pop-up" feature, what did one do before buying the oliso?
    I went to a 4-day retreat where all the irons were the pop-up Oliso models. It was pretty annoying at first, because when you stand it up it turns off. The first day, we were constantly standing around waiting for the irons to heat up because we kept forgetting to leave them laying down. The second day, we had to keep reminding each other when we saw someone stand it up. By the third and fourth days, we were finally getting the hang of it, but on the fifth day when I got back home, I found myself with several light scorch marks on my ironing board because I kept leaving my iron face down! Aggravating.
    Old 06-25-2018, 03:46 AM

I don't know why w/all it's issues people would cont to buy this iron. I have two Black/Deckers...one light weight with Teflon plate and their heavier w/original plate both going on 3 yrs w/no issues or signs of issues...Sometimes old fashion with no bell/whistles is the best way to go.
    Old 06-30-2018, 02:42 PM

I purchased a Euro Steam iron at a quilt show in 2014. That iron gets the job done! It puts out amazing heat and really does a great job. That is what I would call an iron! A little bit of care - don't leave water in it, use filtered water not distilled and clean it with vinegar (instructions included). I am very happy with my investment and love that iron! In 2014, it cost $200. Great iron!!
    Old 06-30-2018, 04:38 PM

I've had my yellow Oliso 4 years. I have never had any problems with it and I use it often. I also do not use water in it. I'm not a fan of steam.
    Old 07-01-2018, 06:06 AM
    Power Poster

I just bought a Shark that was quite reasonably priced and I really like it. I got it at Bed Bath and Beyond with a coupon. Maybe paid 30 something for it.