Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • opinions on Ott Lites please.. >
  • opinions on Ott Lites please..

• opinions on Ott Lites please..

Old 05-18-2014, 06:48 AM

Love my Ott light. I have the floor model and it follows me around any time I am quilting at night or when the sun is the shining (most days around here). The light is so much better especially when the eyes are a little on the oldster side. If you are close to a Joann's and wait for the sale, prices are much better.
    Old 05-18-2014, 06:52 AM

I would not be without mine. I have a floor model as well as a desk model. Love them both.
    Old 05-18-2014, 06:58 AM

I have several....got them a long time ago and have never regretted doing so. My favorite is my Ariel floor lamp. It's the long bulb and I have it at my sewing machine. I have another with the magnifying glass which I seldom use (the magnifying glass). There may be cheaper lights, but when JoAnn's has them on sale for 50% off, how can you go wrong?
    Old 05-18-2014, 07:21 AM

Have both table and floor daylight lamps at Wal-Mart on line much cheaper, and replacement bulbs are only $7.00.
    Old 05-18-2014, 08:45 AM

I love mine. It sits on my sewing machine, has a small "footprint" and the light is bright and right where I want it. Very thoughtful Christmas gift from my son.
    Old 05-18-2014, 09:18 AM

My DH gave me one for Christmas three years ago. It is a table lamp I don't know how I ever got along without it.
    Old 05-18-2014, 11:14 AM

It is a clear white light which does not distort fabric colors, and does not seem to create shadows. I like it but for some tasks I need to see shadows to see that I am doing, like where to place the needle, and then I use one of the architect's halogen lights on a stalk so I can pull it around where I want it.
    Old 05-18-2014, 11:44 AM

I have a floor model and a folding table model that I take with me on retreats. Love them both. I love the newer style that has a glass shade. They look like regular lamps. Guess I'll have to wait for a sale or use coupons to get them.
    Old 05-18-2014, 12:51 PM

If you have a Big Lots store anywhere near you check out those stores. They have Ott light look alikes, both floor and table models, for about 25% of the cost of Ott lights. They use the same "daylight" bulbs. I have 2 table top and one floor model - have had each of them for over 3 years and they are still working great. I had a fourth, but it fizzled out about 6 months ago - it was the first one I ever bought though, and I had had it for over 4 years. Not bad for $28.00.
    Old 05-18-2014, 01:20 PM

I have 2 floor models and one table top. The table top has a caddy attached for stitch rippers, small scissors, etc. The floor lamps sit on carpet and are very well balanced. I have had one for MANY (15+) years and love it---never had to replace bulbs yet. I do know that Home Depot carries them also and they are not so expensive.
    Other stitchers use Halogen bulbs---which are bright but get very HOT----too hot for me to work with it on in the muggy summertime.