Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • paper piecing...get easier? >
  • paper piecing...get easier?

• paper piecing...get easier?

Old 07-01-2010, 12:42 PM

Keep practicing. I kept forgetting how to paper piece because I didn't keep doing it, but now I find it very easy.
    Old 07-01-2010, 12:46 PM

I love the paper piecing for certain things. I try to used the freezer paper technique as much as I can. I print the pattern onto the freezer paper....no paper to tear off and I like that.

I have a little instruction sheet that I keep close by as one does forget a little if one doesn't do it all the time and one little reread, saves the day.
    Old 07-01-2010, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by pamsmpk
    The person who taught me told me that either you immdeiately "get it" or you don't. If you don't, it will always be a struggle to paper piece. Something about right brain vs. left brain....
    If you are a person who likes jigsaw puzzles, you'll find it easier cause you're used to fitting odd pieces together.
    Old 07-01-2010, 06:45 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of paper piecing. The "Queen of Paper Piecing" Carol Doak's web site is very helpful. She also has a Yahoo group and lots of free patterns. All the members there are most helpful if you need any questions answered. I teach paper piecing and once the new students catch on they want to keep on doing their blocks this way. Check out Carol's website, http://www.caroldoak.com - I'm sure you will be impressed.
    Old 07-01-2010, 10:52 PM
    Banned

I have not done it yet. God bless. Penny
    Old 07-02-2010, 06:43 AM

Thank you hawaiilove for the site http://www.caroldoak.com. I love paper piecing. I downloaded a bunch of--the best part free-- patterns and the conversion for making paper piece patterns from regular patterns.
    Old 08-29-2010, 11:24 AM

I need too know where the posting is using adding machine paper or something like that. I thought it was here in this section but cannot locate it. I thought I saved it in my favorites but can't locate it. Can you help me locate it when any of you have time! Thanks a bunch and hope I am not in the wrong thread too ask this question
    Old 08-29-2010, 12:06 PM

I just bought the Carol Doak cd and watched it. I've never done this before but it looks easy to do.
    Old 08-29-2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by quiltykim
    Raptureready...my seam ripper has gotten a work out and I think I've figured it out again. It made so much sense in the class until I picked it up again...easy to get things goofed up! I'll keep practicing...
    I have a tip for you if when you having to rip and you tear the paper use some of the removeable tape . Carol Doak told us about it in a work shop. It works great and its easy to remove when needed.
    Old 08-29-2010, 12:54 PM

Like anything, I think it gets easier the more you do because you have become familiar and comfortable with the technique.

If you are doing several blocks of the same thing, you can chain-piece just like regular sewing. You may need to pull the piece you have just stitched out a bit to allow room for the next piece to be inserted and stitched, pull, stitch, pull, stitch.

I do lots of Mariner's Compasses and there are at least 8 identical sections to each block. I will work on all 8 at the same time. Stitch pieces #1 & #2, then press, stitch #3, press, stitch #4, press, etc.

Kathy