Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Plz Check my math for me? >
  • Plz Check my math for me?

• Plz Check my math for me?

Old 11-24-2013, 05:59 PM

Default Plz Check my math for me?

I thank you all for your help. Every time ive asked a question on this board someone has always helped me. You are all a life line to me. My question is I'm doing a quilt with a panel for the first time. The panel will be in the center and I will work out from there. I would like to fussy cut my squares to go around the panel. The finished panel is 27 3/4 wide x 45 1/2 long. In my calculation I'm coming up with 4 7/8 inch squares. 7 across and 11 down Am I correct in my math? Again thank you all for your help. Would post pics if I could but it won't let me.
    God bless all
    Loretta
    Old 11-24-2013, 06:23 PM
    Power Poster

Can you show how you are doing the math? I only tried the top part of the panel and it isn't working out for me. One thing I am not sure about is whether you are counting the corners. Here's how I did the math:

27-3/4" wide = 111/4ths = 222/8ths

4-7/8" squares cut minus 4/8" for seam allowances = 4-3/8th's finished squares = 35/8ths * 7 = 245/8ths

Already my math doesn't work, so I quit there. It might work differently if you are doing the sides first, then the top.

I think this is doing it the hard way. It would be easier to add a border all around the panel (making it extra-wide) first. Then cut the squares the size you want, sew them together to fit a side, then trim the border to fit the strip of squares. Basically in this case you are making the panel fit the squares rather than trying to make the squares fit the panel size. Adding a border to the panel allows you to adjust the border to fit the squares.
    Old 11-24-2013, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by lb70542
    I thank you all for your help. Every time ive asked a question on this board someone has always helped me. You are all a life line to me. My question is I'm doing a quilt with a panel for the first time. The panel will be in the center and I will work out from there. I would like to fussy cut my squares to go around the panel. The finished panel is 27 3/4 wide x 45 1/2 long. In my calculation I'm coming up with 4 7/8 inch squares. 7 across and 11 down Am I correct in my math? Again thank you all for your help. Would post pics if I could but it won't let me.
    God bless all
    Loretta
    Can you adjust your design so you don't have to get into such intricate math?
    Old 11-24-2013, 06:35 PM
    Power Poster

you can always add a skinny border around the panel to make it a more reasonable size to figure out your blocks with.
    Old 11-24-2013, 06:47 PM

I can't make it come out like you did either.

If it were my project, I'd use a border of some type around the panel to get it to where I could fussy cut the squares to a size that didn't drive me crazy.
    Old 11-24-2013, 06:53 PM
    Power Poster

I'm with the others....much less grief and messing around to add a border....this will also add visual interest and give you a "friendlier" measurement to work with.
    Old 11-24-2013, 06:54 PM

If you cut 1/8th inch off both sides making it 27.5. Then you would need (5) 5 1/2" blocks for top and bottom. That would make the sides(45.5 + 5" top and 5" bottom)55.5 and you would need 10 for each side.
    Old 11-24-2013, 07:24 PM

Thank you all so . Math wasn't my best subject. I did add the border and that's what made it the size I posted. I thought of cutting a 1/4 in off on the bottom. But duhhhhh I always forget about dividing it.. That's why I always work with whole numbers. Thank you all again..