Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Polyester Batting >

Polyester Batting

Polyester Batting

Old 03-28-2012, 11:54 AM

Default Polyester Batting

A quick question for my fellow longarm quilters...Have you ever used polyester batting on your longarm? I have never tried it, but am about to. It is definitely not Warm & Narural but I thought I would try it. I would appreciate your comments and tips, if you have any.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

I use Hobbs Poly down quite frequently. It has great loft and really shows off quilting. I also like to double up with poly. On this quilt have a layer of hobbs poly down over a layer of bamboo and the results are wonderful. Like Trapunto only without all the work! http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t184163.html

Edited to add, not all polys are the same. I have used Fairfield poly and it was ick. Uneven in thickness and very fragile. Hobbs is very nice poly and some of the quilters dream poly's are also very nice but very low loft, quilting up almost like W&N.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 03-28-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:14 PM

I have not used it, but I have heard people say they have. I'd say try a small practice piece with the thread you will be using.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:52 PM

I used some of the stuff from walmart because that is what a customer wanted. Never EVER again. I am sure a better quality would be fine, I have seen lots of people use Hobbs poly. I am going to be using wool in my next quilt, if I ever get my log cabin done. LOL
Old 03-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

i buy poly batting by the bolt to use with my long arm-
many of my customers prefer the poly batting.
i've been using it for years-
personally i love Dream Poly- my favorite batt is Dream wool-
dream orient and dream bamboo are also wonderful batts
i've used them all on the long arm-
the only batting not suited for the long arm are the ones that are very thin & fine----recommended for hand quilting-
those tend to separate & pull apart easily just from their own weight hanging over the frame....if they are good for machine quilting they are good on the longarm.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:01 PM

My LA quilter likes working with the Dream poly batting that I take to her.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:51 PM

I use Hobbs Poly down alot. The customers like the finished look of it and I really like how it quilts. It is a good quality polyestor and it is not expensive. A couple weeks ago a customer provided a fairfield polyestor batting wth her quilt top and I had troubles with it because, like someone else said, it is uneven and thin. I hated working with it. She wanted a very light low loft finished look to her quilt and that is definitely what she got!. I have also used Quilter's Dream polyestor and liked it and last week I used a Quilter's Dream Puff ( a higher loft) and it quilted beautifully.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:10 AM

I have a customer that always brings her own batting. It is a poly, but I do not know the brand. I didn't have a problem at all. I have done pantographs for her as well as some custom work and both turned out well. There is more loft.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

I just bought some Soft and Bright from JoAnn's on sale, haven't tried it yet, but it has a nice feel, soft and solid. Previously I used a poly batt provided by someone else and could hardly stand to work with it. It was thin and uneven and felt almost scratchy. There are lots of different poly batts out there and some are great to work with, others not so much.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:34 PM
BMP

I have switched to using all Dream battings, they are alot nicer than the W&N worth the extra few dollars. To me I have already spent alot of time and money on to make the top !! I am picky too about my backing , to me its just as imortant as the pieced front.