Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Potato Bags are just not worth it! >
  • Potato Bags are just not worth it!

• Potato Bags are just not worth it!

Old 12-16-2011, 07:36 PM

Interesting, I have a potato bag that I have used for 6 years without any problems.. It actually has a polyester batting in it. Go figure. I make them with 100% cotton and warm tater batting. They are great for warming rolls and cooking corn on the cob too. I have made 10 or 12 and no one has had any problem.
    Old 12-16-2011, 07:55 PM

Glad to know all of this. I just received one as a gift but don't know if I'll use it now. The fabric is so pretty I might just use it as a decor item in my kitchen.
    Old 12-16-2011, 09:00 PM

I agree with Iraxy. We cook potatoes (with fork holes poked in them) in our microwave on a plate with paper towel over them, and they are DELICIOUS...no bag needed!
    Originally Posted by Iraxy
    Wow, glad to hear this news. Actually, I roll a potato in a very wet paper towel after I poke some holes in it and zap it for 7-10 minutes depending on the size of the potato. It is perfect, fluffy, and delicious. Yum, could eat one right now!
    Old 12-17-2011, 04:33 AM

I bought one 4 years ago. the bag was made with flannel for the batting. wash patato don,t poke it put it in microwave for three minutes or so and let it set a few minutes and cut a slit in protato and squash it and it fluffs. My ggs loves his and has been using the same one for about 5 years. You can tell a difference when its cooked in bag. bignan
    Old 12-17-2011, 05:20 AM

A good laugh picturing the dog taking off with it was my first reaction then I thought: wonder if there was a pin in the bag. Give me a damp paper towel or even just the naked potato. =sandrab64;4784515]I did use the Warm Tater batting as recommended which came in the kit. The dog took off with it so now I'll have to hunt down the 'smoking gun'! Oh well...nobody hurt and nothing major ruined![/QUOTE]
    Old 12-17-2011, 05:23 AM

I used the Potatoe Bag batting to make a casserole cover & it help things stay warm with NO SMOKE!!
    Old 12-17-2011, 05:33 AM

To me potato bags are messy to say the least. And as for washing them after they have been used, I can't afford to wash a potato bag and $1.00 a load for washing and $1.00 a load for drying. Save the space for necessaries.
    Old 12-17-2011, 05:39 AM
    Banned

My personal opinion...potato bags are stupid...as for the microwave bowls,I didnt know they went in the microwave,,,I have made them for years before they even"came out" but I just use them to hold the hot bowl when you eat,they never go in the microwave.
    Old 12-17-2011, 05:40 AM

That would be my idea as well. A potato keeps cooking after you take it out of the microwave for awhile. My mom cooked them for the recommended time then wrapped them in foil and let set for a few minutes before serving. They were just like ones cooked in the oven. I think the potato bag would work to keep them warm and finish cooking just like the foil did.
    Originally Posted by Rose L
    Well, I must be misinformed as I thought the purpose of the potato bags were to keep the potatoes warm while serving at the dinner table. I just poke a hole in each potato and set them in a bowl with a little bit of water to cook them in the microwave. Then...I would place them in the bag...if I had one, lol!
    Old 12-17-2011, 05:56 AM

Me too Jacquie. Used to roll taters in paper towels, tater bag is so much easier. I too never use the tater button. Depending on size, I cook full power 3-5 minutes, rotate taters in the bag, and cook again til almost soft. Then remove from microwave and let them stay in bag until time to eat.